We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Cloud Hotel

New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
St. Cloud Hotel

Does anyone know if the St. Cloud Hotel is still in operation? If so, how was your stay? We are planning a vacation in August and are trying to find someplace other than your run-of-the-mill hotels.

Thanks.

colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

The St. Cloud Hotel is no longer in operation, since the owners both got into some serious trouble with the law. I used to work for the hotel and wish to see it back up in running. This hotel is the most mysterious, wonderful hotel with a lot of historical value. As you may know it is based in the center of old mining settlements where there were gunfights and much emotional excitement. The original owner built the hotel just south of Canon City in a small town that was to be our state capitol building before Colorado became a state, this town is called Silvercliff. The man who built the hotel got into a mess of trouble when he refused to pay taxes. There was a messy gunfight over the whole deal but somehow he managed to keep his hotel but had to move it to Canon City, CO. They moved it brick by brick (numbered of course) to Canon City, and put it back together. So you see, I would love to own the hotel myself, being so deep into it's history. Maybe someday, I will and you can come stay in my establishment.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Colorado
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

Unfortunately, the St. Cloud is still closed. Although I've not stayed here, these folks have great reviews and are located very near the old downtown area of Canon City: Jewel of the Canyons Bed and Breakfast. Might want to read the reviews about them on this website. Good luck!

Level Contributor
1,448 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

What's the latest on this hotel? Is the building still there?

colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

The hotel still stands as it is a historical landmark. The last I heard (this was hearsay) was a man who ran one of the banks bought it to bring it back to life when he suddenly died. His son now has it, but has no intentions of doing much with it, except sell it of course. With the luck of owners the hotel has had since the very first owner, its hard to find a good solid person with good credit, strength to keep it up and money backing them to support any upgrades needed to it and stay within the historical society's rules and regulations.

Canon City, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

I would like to know exactly who owns it and how we may get a hold of him or them. Anyone have any ideas? The only phone number we have is out of order as we assumed it would be due to it being shut down. An address or phone number would be greatly appreciate. Just in case, the phone number we have is 276-2000. Thanks!

Hood River, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

We were in Canon City 3 weeks ago for a car show. We drove by the St. Cloud in hopes that it would be open, but I'm sorry to report, it was closed up tight. It looks like it has been that way for some time. I hope someone will reopen it, as you know, it's a beautiful old property.

7. Re: St. Cloud Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 30, 2009