We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Gorge Bridge and Park or Buckskin Joe Frontier Town

Which Canon City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin Square...
Level Contributor
86 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Gorge Bridge and Park or Buckskin Joe Frontier Town

I will have 1 day in July at Canon City traveling with 3 toddlers(6,4,3) and parents. Other then doing the Winery at Holy Cross Abbey , should we go to the bridge or frontier town? If we go to Frontier town and take the little train ride will we still see the bridge and the gorge?

Also someone mentioned about the Arkansas River walk? Is it a nice scenic walk? Thanks ahead for any information.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Gorge Bridge and Park or Buckskin Joe Frontier Town

I have done the bridge a few times, there are some rides, a train, the bridge, gift shop, snacks etc. Our favorite was the cog train type ride down to the bottom. Royal Gorge is maybe good 2 + hours. I haven't been to Buckskin Joe as it was closed for business when I lived there.

There are some nice trails along the Arkansa River in Canon City. We used to walk there all the time. Some places are near the water, others are through meadows etc. Nice place.

Have fun.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Gorge Bridge and Park or Buckskin Joe Frontier Town

If you can, I would do both. I think the kids would really like Buckskin, it's a great place to entertain the little ones. The little train will take you to the Gorge and you will have some views, but it's not the same as walking on the bridge! If you have time, the kids might enjoy the Dinosaur Depot,which is in Canon City

As for the River Walk, it's nice. Nothing spectacular or anything, just a gravel path along the river with benches. When i lived in Canon City, my husband and I would take a lot of walks along the River. Much of it is shaded in the trees, but it is very peaceful!

On a side note, i thought I'd recommend a good restaurant for you. It's called Pizza Madness, it's on main street, just off Hwy50. Kids love it and their pizza is pretty dang good!

3. Re: Royal Gorge Bridge and Park or Buckskin Joe Frontier Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, September 01, 2009