We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

billings, mt
Level Contributor
154 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

Our Costa Rica consultant recommended Rio Celest instead of Monteverde. We told her we like to be away from too much touristy development like we saw around Manuel Antonio. She said we will see more animals in Rio Celeste. pura vida national park, heliconia hanging bridges than Monteverde. Is that likely to be true? How does the rainforest of Monteverde compare to San Geraldo de Dota where we went last year? Is Rio Celeste really turquoise? We are thinking of the Rio Celeste Hidaway Lodge.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

I think you will like Rio Celeste Lodge...and the color at the river is just out of this world...

I do not like to compare places...Dota is very nice and green...a lot less people than Monteverde...

roadadvisor

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

I really enjoyed Rio Celeste, and we were actually just talking about making a side trip to do the hike again this year when we return. We saw very few people in the park, and the hike was amazing. We also saw plenty of animals as well.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,796 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

Rio Celeste is turquoise - if there were no heavy rains the night before. Yet it is a one day affair. Hiking to and along it is fairly difficult, slippery and muddy in places. On the other side, whole area with Tenorio NP is off the grid, and with only a handful of tourists. We stayed at La Carolina Lodge and it was like at the end of the world, in the positive way.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

Personally, I think Rio Celeste is worth it if it's been clear lately (ask the locals). If it's been really rainy it likely will be murky. I have never had any luck at Monteverde seeing animals, but I seem to be the only one because everyone else that goes there loves it. I've been 4 or 5 times and was not impressed!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,796 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

Some tips for your next visit, Genna:

wake up early like 6 am

hire a good private guide

go to less visited places

most of the wildlife in Monteverde are birds

Good luck!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

Rio Celeste is one of the best things to see in Costa Rica, a really unique place. It is nice because the hike is interesting. You will see the blue river, a great waterfall, a lagoon, the place where the river suddenly gets its turquoise colour and there is a place, where you can take a bath in the hot thermal waters directly in the river.

an unforgettable experience.

The nature around Bijagua is amazing. There are so many birds and mammals (sloths, monkeys etc) to see.

You can also do a guided night tour on a private property to see frogs in their natural habitat. We saw so many and the guides are just great.

Monteverde is beautiful but very touristic, I would recommend to everybody to go to Rio Celeste.

Unfortunately it sometimes rains a lot in the area. Last time I went (in June) we could not do the hiking to Rio Celeste as it was raining the whole night and the whole morning and we knew that the trails would be so muddy and that probably the river would be more grey than turquoise due to the heavy rains.

There is a very nice place in Bijagua where I stayed, the owners are soo friendly and the place is amazing. Its called Casitas Tenorio, they offer 2 comfortable houses "Casitas" on a beautiful property. It is a small farm with cows, pigs, chicken and some plantations. Even meanwhile having your delicious breakfast you can observe a large variety of birds and on the property you usually can see sloths and monkeys too.

7. Re: is Rio Celeste worth going to instead of Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, April 30, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Tenorio Volcano...