We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whitewater rafting and fires

Lincoln, NE
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
690 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
whitewater rafting and fires

Thank you for the advice on where to whitewater raft in CO! There will be three adults with very limited esperience. We want to go in the Buena Vista-Salida area and have found many companies that offer rafting, but I would like to know if anyone has had personal experiece with them. They all want you to think they are the best. A 1/2 day trip will best fit our schedule. Also, are any areas closed in CO because of the forest fires? We will be traveling the end of August.

Mentioned in this post
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whitewater rafting and fires

T2,

You are right, there are lots of rafting companies in the area. I have rafted with three different companies, and found them all to be fine, and felt safe with all three guides. I would give a personal recomendation for Canyon Marine in Salida. They run all the local trips. If you are after one "best trip", do Brown's Canyon. Lots of interesting rapids through a super rocky canyon with great views.

There are no fires in the area right now. Even if there was a fire in the valley, there are enough rafting sections on the Arkansas that you could certainly work around the fires.

For more details of the rafting companies and trips, visit

coloradoheadwaters.com, our local tourist site.

caloraw

Mentioned in this post
Salida
Salida
Colorado