We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Country Jeep Tours

Which Buena Vista hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, texas
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
High Country Jeep Tours

We chose this 4x4 jeep tour after much consideration. We had decided we wanted to do a jeep tour that would give us history and scenary at the same time. We got what we asked for ! We chose the half day (4 hour) tour.

The guide, Bob, was wonderful and very informative. He drove us to St. Elmo (an old mining ghost town) where my daughter got to feed the ground squirrels (tons of them would just come sit right on your lap and eat out of your hand). We bought feed for t hem from the general store there. She loved that !

From there we traveled up to the Mary Murphy Mine. You go about 13,000 feet up I believe on very small, rocky, shelf roads. it was a blast ! The scenary was beautiful. We felt very safe the whole time - even though the road was VERY narrow and the drop offs a LONG way down ! :) but it was fun. Our kids enjoyed it a lot. We learned the history the mine and the area. Lots of photo ops.

I would definitely recommend this jeep tour company out of Buena Vista. Next time I think I'd like to try their all day trip up Mount Antero ! :)

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High Country Jeep Tours

Did your family have to blind fold you for this drive?? :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High Country Jeep Tours

Sounds like a great trip. We used to St Elmo and 4x4 roads a lot when we lived in the area. My son sure loved those ground squirrels and chipmunks.

This is a beautiful and historic area, fun for everyone! A must see if you are in the Buena Vista/Salida area.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High Country Jeep Tours

mtnlfe - you would be quite proud of me :) ... no blindfold necessary. :)

4. Re: High Country Jeep Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 05, 2009