We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

Nashville
8 posts
Save Topic
Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

I'm planning a family vacation to Colorado and would appreciate any suggestions on lodging or best dates to visit - we have four or five couples with four kids (ages 1, 1, 5 and 6). Our goal is to have some long overdue, quality "family time" with fun activities for the kids (who have never played in "real" snow). We might do one or two days of skiing/boarding, with two or three days of non-skiing activities - tubing, sledding, ice skating, fishing (??), sleigh ride, etc.. I'm leaning towards Thunder Mountain Lodge (primarily because of the good reviews and tripadisor and other ratings, plus it looks cool) sometime in late March or early April. Any suggestions on different location (i.e., is Keystone more family friendly??) or dates (is March too crowded??). I'm pretty fleixble on the dates and definitely want snow, but without big crowds. Thanks in advance.

1. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:55 pm, January 30, 2007
charlotte, nc
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

With that many people you can probably get an awesome private home - check out vrbo.com... I am using that site to find a 1 bedroom. The prices still work out better than getting a package from the Breckenridge site, as long as you buy your lift tickets on line and 7 days in advance. Although, I've emailed 8 owners and only 3 have responded - but I guess I only need 1, right?!

Good Luck!

3. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:10 pm, February 07, 2007
breckenridge...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

mtn thunder lodge is right across from the new gondola and keystone is very family friendly.

you can do almost all at keystone and most of the activities in breck (no tubing, but there is a sledding hill).

gobreck.com for town info

paragon lodging and great western lodging for houses, etc.

march is sunny and nice, but lots of spring breakers. but, there is a ton of terrain at keystone. you can get lost in the outback and avoid the crowds...

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

In my opinion Breck is the better place to have fun and ski with children who are beginners. When you look at the total package of the town, the hill, the type of runs and other off-ski activities I think you'll agree. Sleigh rides are available but I can't recall at this moment. Google "sleigh rides" +breckenridge for info.

re: crowds --March is high season. The hills are full esp on weekends. Try to ski mon-fri only.

The one thing Keystone has that is exceptional is the tubing run at top of River Run. Go to the keystone.snow.com website for info. You'll need to advance reserve and I believe it's only open at night. The drive from Breck is about 25 minutes.

To skiers who love Keystone and think I'm off base. Keystone has many excellent runs for the strong/advanced intermediate skier who can handle the Outback. Short lift lines, quiet, nice challenging conditions, but I would never send a family of beginners there. Lower front side is often over crowded --scary IMO-- and can be very icy.

Nashville
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure why my post was removed - just trying to get some suggestions on where to go and where to stay, which is what I thought this forum was for.

7. Re: Family Vacation - Thunder Mountain Lodge in March or April??

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 18, 2009