We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

Whitchurch-Stouffvil...
10 posts
Save Topic
Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

We are staying in the Breckenridge/Keystone area of Colorado from June 21-27, and were looking for trails that involve hiking up mountains/peaks, preferably east of Highway 9, closer to Guanella pass road.

Are there any clearly marked trails (eg no bushwhacking or improvising trails) that involve a mountain/peak? We are going to be doing Mt Sniktau which seems easy enough, any others, preferably that are less crowded?

Thanks

EDIT: The mountain/peak doesn't have to be a 14er, any mountain/peak with a nice view will do.

Edited: 3:38 pm, June 11, 2014
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

I am happy to hear that you do not plan on bushwhacking or improvising trails, easy way to get lost plus damage to the delicate terrain up high. There are many trails that will get you above tree line. I have not been to Summit County in a few weeks so I can't say how much snow maybe left on the higher peaks.

Some upper elevation hikes from Keystone take Monument Road to Peru Creek. Please watch the weather you do not want to be up high in a thunder / lightening storm.

summitcountyexplorer.com/summithikingtrails.… has good information

Edited: 3:53 pm, June 11, 2014
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

oops not Monument Road I meant Montezuma RD

Whitchurch-Stouffvil...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

Montezuma road is closed due to flooding, but I'm not sure whether this affects those trails you are talking about.

I was doing some research and found some trails that I would like to try but don't know if I will get lost if there is no clear trail and was wondering if someone here had any first hand experience?

I would like to do one or two of Pettingell, Bard peak and Citadel/Parnassus mountain. However, they all start from Herman Gulch, do they all have clearly defined trails to their respective peaks? Or do I need a topo map to determine how to summit one?

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,854 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

Have you considered Mount Bierstadt?

It is a relatively easy 14er. localhikes.com/Hikes/MountBierstadt_0000.asp

www.everytrail.com/guide/mount-bierstadt

You can check 14ers.com for recent trip reports/trail conditions: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripmain.php

www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_peak.php…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

You are correct that Montezuma rd has been closed. They do have a temporary bridge up and may be open by time you get here.

You should check with the ranger district too in addition to the links that Babalax provided

…usda.gov/detail/…

Edited: 4:52 pm, June 11, 2014
6. Re: Best hiking trails that involve mountains/peaks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge