We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski school

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ski school

Going to Breckenridge over Spring break with 6 kids who have never skied before. I think the group is going to be half skiing and half snow boarding. None of the parents are avid skiers enough to teach so we will definitely be doing ski school. We are staying in a vacation home about 8 miles from Breckenridge. Should we so ski school in Breckenridge or another resort? I know the prices are pretty steep in Breckenridge but I don't know how close the other mountains are. If we stay in Breckenridge there are 3 different locations for ski school and I'm not sure how I am supposed to choose. Any advice is helpful. Of the 5 adults only 2 if us have skied recently.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski school

Where are you staying? I'd take lessons at whatever resort is closest to your lodging.

At Breck, it doesn't matter which ski school location you pick--whichever is easiest for you to get to.

I'd recommend lessons for the adults, too.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
721 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski school

Because you will arrive by car or shuttle bus, I suggest the Peak 8 base area ski and ride school because you can get there fastest by gondola at the Breck Transfer station. The other two locations are on Peak 9 - either at the Village (convenient to downtown) or at Beaver Run Resort (slightly higher up the hill).

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski school

We're staying in a house about 8 miles south of Breckenridge.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski school

You are staying a ways out of Breck if you are 8 miles south. I am guessing up in Quandary subdivision?

If so, you are about a 10-15 minute drive to Breck...all other resorts are thru & past Breck from your location so no need to add on more car time unless you can find a significant deal...although you may want to inquire about Keystone. I seem to remember a posting lately about Keystone ski school. Add another 20-25 minutes to Keystone if you go there...maybe more depending on weather and how busy it is.

If you go to the Village ski school or Beaver Run ski , probably best to park over at the ice arena (free) and catch the Breck free ride over (free). Here is a link to the schedule

http://breckfreeride.com/index.aspx?page=1516

If you ride the gondola, you can park in the Gold Rush lot (Free) but fills up somewhat fast. Otherwise you are paying to park near the gondola base to ride up to the base of Peak 8.

I would probably lean Village area: If kids are done and no longer want to ski, easy walk with them (and any adult that is done early as well) over to Main St. to walk the shops, grab lunch...whatever.

Matt

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
150 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski school

Took my 5 year old to the Beaver run Ski school at Breck peak 9 2 weeks ago. It was perfect for a 5 year old. Breck is very accommodating to kid first timers. We actually tried to ski a-basin (got everything bought and set up, and dropped him off, only to find him crying in the snow 5 minutes later. it was after a long day of traveling, so it probably didn't matter where we ski'd) but that resort didn't compare to Breck as far as catering to children.

Beaver Run and The Village are very close to each other. Beaver Run does have a $15/20 paid parking lot right there, but it did get full over president day weekend. It was not full during the week though. Over spring break, it will probably be full by 9am.

It can get very expensive, but if your kids are of similar ages/levels, you can usually book a private lesson and have a few people to each instructor.

6. Re: Ski school

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 27, 2015