We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activites for non-skiers

Lacygne, Ks
Level Contributor
53 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Activites for non-skiers

My husband and I have visited Summit county a number of times in the summer (and love it) but this will be our first visit in the winter (first week of December). We don't ski (and at our age don't plan to start). We hike and bike in the summer when we're there. I have read through the first 15 pages of topics but wondered if there were other suggestions as to what we can do when we're there. Thanks for your help.

Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activites for non-skiers

I've heard the rec center is very nice, haven't been there. Is there a Holiday Parade of Homes? I might be crazy, but I thought I read something on the Summit Daily News. Matt might have better info.

Frankfort, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activites for non-skiers

You can rent snow shoes at the Nordic Center and use their trails for some winter hiking (or cross country skiing). There are 2 different nordic center locations and prices are inexpensive.

I also suggest taking a sleigh ride. You can choose one that includes hot cocoa or add dinner and make a night of it.

If you are staying for a while, you may want to consider heading to Glenwood Springs to visit the hot springs. It's a bit of a drive, but would be a great day trip if your schedule allows.

Even if you don't ski, definitely take the gondolas around to see the views. You will be amazed how different the mountains look in the winter.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,103 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activites for non-skiers

Head over to Keystone for some snow tubing. Fun way to get on the mountain. Agree snowshoeing on those same trails you hike on is very fun, a must do to me.

Summit County...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activites for non-skiers

The first week of December, you'll be in town for the lighting of Breckenridge and the Santa Race (which will still be fun to watch, even if you don't want to do the fun run/walk!) www.afar.com/highlights/race-of-the-santas

Some of the outdoor stuff that people tend to like include dogsledding, snowmobiling, Nordic skiing or snowshoeing, and a great suggestion above on taking the gondola.

Other activities that people don't always think about but also cool: cooking classes at Colorado Mountain College (I just checked, there's a couple scheduled for early Dec), Arts District workshops, see a show at the Backstage Theatre, the Breckenridge Recreation Center has great classes and a really nice pool area. See more ideas: …gobreck.com/index.php/…

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activites for non-skiers

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21445-Summit_C…

Parade of Homes was about a month ago.

Breckenridge Rec Center is nice as mentioned...get a punch pass if you think you will go multiple times. You can go over and ask to just walk thru and do a preview and they almost always let you.

Hiking: summitcountyexplorer.com/summithikingtrails.…

(Depending on weather)

Ready Paint Fire

Dinner sleigh Ride- Two Degrees Below Zero

Get free Summit Daily newspaper while you are there as it will have a What Is Going On section so you can see if there is anything upcoming that interests you.

Daytrip to hot springs as mentioned is nice or daytrip to Colorado Springs and do the Cog Railroad to the top of Pikes Peak.

matt

6. Re: Activites for non-skiers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge