We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
661 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

As mentioned in several posts, I get extremely car sick and tend to have a weak stomach so when I went to Breck in 2010 I was very anxious about getting Altitude sickness.

After reading suggestion and after suggestion what I did back in 2010 and will be doing this week is I am flying into Denver on Friday night. Saturday morning taking my time to get out to Breck, enjoying the beautiful drive etc...drinking plenty of water, not much alcohol on Saturday and getting "used" to the altitude. Plan on a good night sleep then kicking it Sunday.

For me it is worth it to not be on the slopes on Saturday to make sure that Sunday and Monday I feel good.

I can't wait :)

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

Every person is unique, so there is no way to know how your body will respond. Luckily if you do have issues, you are headed right back down the mountain the next day. IMO not worth worrying about. Have Fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

Thanks. Im freaking myself out about all the horror stories.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

People who don't have issues don't post about it. There are waaaay more of them than ones with issues. No need to worry IMO.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

" I wonder can I avoid the altitude sickness since I'm barely staying 24 hrs?"

More likely than not, you will have a rough nights sleep. Beyond that, it's unlikely you'll experience anything worth freaking out about.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
661 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

Moving to Breck in November...definitely going to do whatever I can to adjust early. Lucky thing is I need to lose about 15lbs and I have zero appetite at Breck, that is my altitude sickness ha....I might check out the oxygen bar this time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

I came back Monday from Colorado. I think that I freaked myself a lot during the drive up from Denver to Breckenridge. Traffic was awful. It took almost 3 hours to get there so I didn't really have any time to see the sites. When we got to the hotel I had a couple of drinks with water to calm my nerves. We only went to a wedding that night so it was so strenuous. I can say that I drank 1 glass of water with ever glass of wine and I still felt a little light headed, nothing that stopped me but I did feel it. I also wonder if it weren't exhaustion has my plane left at 7am and I probably didn't go to bed until 1 and didn't sleep at all on the plane. (RJ from ATL to DEN but that's another story). We left the wedding at 10 a.m. and I went right to sleep but woke up with a feeling of shortness of breath. I knew it was coming so I went back to sleep but we all decided the next morning to leave as we all started to feel "odd" Once we past Frisco everyone started to feel better and Denver was of course a non-issue. I do wish I had more time there to get acclimated.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
661 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

assume you meant 10pm not 10am you party animal :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

"When we got to the hotel I had a couple of drinks"

There's your problem right there. That combined with a long day of travel and, no matter how much water you consume with alcohol, it's a recipe for a terrible first night of sleep and a difficult first day at altitude.

Given the OP's request for suggestions to avoid altitude sickness, I'd say this is a good example of what can happen when you don't take reasonable precautions. I'm sure that nearly everyone who lives at altitude can relay similar stories of friends coming to visit, making these same mistakes, and paying the price.

19. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, September 12, 2013
20. Re: Altitude Sickness Suggestions For "Newbies" to Breck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, September 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge