We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

Virginia Beach, VA
4 posts
Save Topic
Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

We are planning a family vacation for up to 17 people in Breckenridge during the week of Christmas 2013. We'll have 6 couples (2 of whom have 2 kids each) and possibly one extra adult. I've been looking at vacation rentals (5 or 6 bedrooms) and have found some great options so far, but was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions, or if you've stayed somewhere you really enjoyed and wanted to share. I'd imagine we'd like to keep the lodging costs under $800/night. We'll be staying at least 5 nights. Accessibility and proximity to town/attractions are also concerns.

Also, the trip is more about "family" than skiing (though, I'm sure we'll do our fair share of skiing). Any recommendations of things to do (especially with the kids), places to eat, things to see, would be really appreciated. Thank you very much!!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

If you have questions about the locations (locals thoughts) on some of the lodging you have found, feel free to ask.

For you a 5-6 bdrm around X-mas, I wiill be more than pleasantly surprised if you can keep your lodging costs to $800/nt and still be somewhere quasi close to town.

By way of comparison, there is a 3 bdrm townhome that I saw a few weeks back that is going for $900-$1050/nt, short walk to Main St & Quicksilver lift.

I assume you are looking at homes and I am wondering if homes that you are finding are aways out of town.

Things to Do: With kids, check out the Breckenridge Rec Center. If lots of people going or going often, look into getting a punch pass.

Swimming, slide for kids into pool, b-ball court, climbing wall...if young kids (under 4-5) Breck blows up one of those air bounce things on tuesday and friday mornings and blocks off 1/2 the gym for kids ($6) call to verify days & times.

Paint your own pottery: Ready Paint Fire

Carter Park: sledding (bring your own or buy some cheapies at Wal-Mart in Frisco) or pay a lot more and go to Frisco, Copper or Keystone.

Outlet stores in Silverthorne

Eating: First, town will be full so be prepared for some wait times and probably best to break your group up as I do not see packed restaurants getting 17 in together.

Breakfast: Columbine Cafe or Daylight Donuts

Lunch/Dinner: Downstairs At Erics (Sports bar, has arcade in front for kids), Quandarys, Mi Casa, Empire Burger, crepe place on main st....pretty much all restaurants are family friendly. Again, you can have some serious wait times on a busy time (X-mas, New Year's Week, march-spring break) and I would plan eating in as might be less $$$ and more enjoyable anyhow since you basically have a big group to hang out with.

Matt

Virginia Beach, VA
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

Wow. Thanks for all of that helpful information!! I've run into rental co's that don't have December rental rates available until late July-early Augunst, which I assume is common. I was told to expect the bigger homes to go quicker and to be prepared to pay $1000/night and above.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,658 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

If you look at vrbo (rather than going through a rental company), many properties have their calendars for all of 2013 as well as the winter of 2014 available.

When we travel with others, we find it works best if there is a bedroom and bathroom for each couple.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

We just love you Matt! You have helped us trememdously with our trips to Breckenridge....Thank you for all of your valuable information and for sharing it with all of us!!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

buckaboo: thanks, blushing. Glad you had a big snowstorm this time when you were here...if you become semi-regular here, you will need to switch that photo from scuba to you doing a big spinning ski jump :-)

Shill: My guess is the rates will be out earlier than June/Aug. Some companies have yearly contracts with properties that can run from Spring till next Spring. Once they know a property is signing back up with them for the next year, they should have prices available.

I would look at the by owner websites to get an idea, www.vrbo.com, www.homeaway.com, www.flipkey.com

For www.vrbo.com, put in Breckenridge, then up top, there is a SORT BY button that is a drop down box where you can choose sort by "sleeps high to low". Then go thru them, worst case use 2012's rates for a ballpark idea for X-mas of next year.

Best of luck. Again, if you have questions on locations, let me know.

Matt

Breckenridge...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

Just a little inside knowledge when speaking with property managers. Even though many won' have rates for next winter yet, if you see a home/property you really like and want to commit, very often you can get the current winter rate depending on deposit and payment terms. Also, ask if the manager will check with the homeowner to see if they would be willing to take an early reservation. You might be surprised how flexible homeowners can be when the money is on the table, so to speak!

7. Re: Breckenridge Family XMas-12-13 Adults/4 kids -Lodging, etc.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 22, 2014