We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras 2013

Kansas City
Level Contributor
250 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mardi Gras 2013

I just realized that we will be in Breck over Mardi Gras. The gobreck.com mentioned a parade on Tuesday at 4:30 down Main Street. The pictures from the past show kids...But just wanted to double check. Is this a family oriented parade? Don't need my kids getting an eye full if you know what I mean!

Also, I have seen beads in the trees on past rides on the lifts. Is it common to toss beads around like that during this time? What's the story?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to my trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

I have been there for the parade in the past and will be again this year.

It is good fun and very family friendly.

Lots of bead throwing going on from what I can remember.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

family oriented parade, for the most part yes. Might be 1-2 interesting items.

Matt

3. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, January 04, 2013
4. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:23 am, January 04, 2013
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

Never been to Breckenridge for Mardi Gras but heading there this year. Just an FYI from someone that is born and raised in New Orleans and still lives here. Mardi Gras is family friendly EXCLUDING the French Quarter. I can tell you the Quarter is mostly tourist, locals tend to stay away. And yes we do keep our shirts/clothing on!

Denver, Colorado...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

As a 32yr. old New Orleans native I have never missed more then one Mardi Gras my entire life (even after living in Denver for 7 yrs.)...but sad to say going to miss this years and considering heading to Breckenridge myself after finding out they do a Fat Tuesday celebration up there. I have heard that people do throw beads from the chair lifts...not sure if its encouraged or just happens, but I'll be bringing some beads for fun.

Oh, and it wasn't until I moved to CO that I found out what the rest of the country thinks of Mardi Gras. =( Don't believe Girls Gone Wild and all the stories about having to flash for beads. I can't speak for the tourists that are known to be the ones that cause most the trouble, but unless you are on Bourbon St. there is very little flashing going on and even parts of the French Quarter are family friendly. I grew up celebrating Mardi Gras with my family & there was not one kid in town that didn't love to go to a parade and catch beads. All you really have to do for beads is smile & wave your hands, and the kids always end up with the most throws! Overall NOLA's Mardi Gras is definitely a family celebration....so I would be shocked if Breck's Mardi Gras wasn't also family friendly. Take your kids, have some fun, and laissez les bon temps rouler!

Denver, Colorado...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

As a 32yr. old New Orleans native I have never missed more then one Mardi Gras my entire life (even after living in Denver for 7yrs.). But sad to say going to miss this years in NOLA and considering heading to Breckenridge myself after finding out they do a Fat Tuesday celebration up there. I have heard that people do throw beads from the chair lifts...not sure if its encouraged or just happens, but I'll be bringing some beads for fun. Oh, and it wasn't until I moved to CO that I found out what the rest of the country thinks of Mardi Gras =(

Girls Gone Wild is not the norm and don't believe the myth that you have to flash for beads. I can't speak for the tourists, whom are known to cause most the trouble, but unless you are on Bourbon St. there is very little flashing going on and even parts of the French Quarter are family-friendly. For me growing up in New Orleans, Mardi Gras was like Christmas, and there is not a kid in town that doesn't enjoy the parades and catching throws. And all you really have to do for beads is smile & wave your hands, so the kids are always the ones that end up with the most throws. I would be shocked if Breckenridge's Mardi Gras was not also family friendly. Bring your kids, have some fun, and laissez les bon temps rouler! =)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

laissez les bon temps rouler!

9. Re: Mardi Gras 2013

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge