We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

We are taking our 9 and 12 year old kids to Breckenridge for a fall getaway in September, staying at Mountain Thunder Lodge. We love Breckenridge and were planning on hiking and hanging out.

However, I just discovered that it is the weekend of Octoberfest. How crowded and hectic is it? It sounds like fun and a great festival but will the atmosphere be O.K. for the kids? Traffic? This is the only weekend we can go due to sports schedules. I searched the forums but didn't find recent info. I'd appreciate any input--thanks so much.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

I don't think it is that big of a deal. The weekends in Sept are always busy with the nice fall weahter as well as the potential Aspen chaning.

Octoberfest closes down about 3-4 blocks on Main St...otherwise not that noticeable.

Last year I was driving over to Carter Park to play some VB, saw a few blocks closed down, detoured around, went to the park and then asked one of my friends what was going on and they said Octoberfest...so that shows how much I knew about it and impacted me (not much at all).

Driving back to Denver on a Sunday afternoon will be busy regardless so plan well if that is where you are headed.

Matt

Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

Thank you! That makes me feel better about it. My Mom lives in Estes, so I know how busy fall weekends get in the mountains, and I was worried that this would make it impossibly crowded. Planning on returning home Sunday via Fairplay. Thanks for the help--

breck
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

Main Street is packed during Oktoberfest, which ends at 6pm on Saturday and 5pm on Sunday. Evenings are back to normal (although the road remains closed).

If you are planning on taking your children to enjoy the event I would recommend going Sunday afternoon as it is much less crowded and far more enjoyable.

All the crowds will be on Main Street so you'll have the hiking trails to yourselves!

Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

Thank you! Really appreciate the advice!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

Follow EmmaBrecks advice. Oktoberfest can be crazy busy ( on mian street) and a bit of a drunk fest.

6. Re: How crowded is Breck during Octoberfest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge