We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Snow

Hi all,

It has been the dream of my other half to board in Breckenridge and we are planning a surprise trip this coming new year ...he is now in his mid 50's and so his bones not too good so it will be the once in a lifetime trip.We are getting concerned though as we thought the snow would be good but reports say otherwise.We have in the past been to lapland,Slovenia ,Italy.How will the snow compare??getting bit stressed to pay out so much if there may not be the opportunity to do anything.

cheers.x

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow

What does "coming new year" mean... next season? Personally, I would not pay to come from Europe out here this season.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow

Hi ,

Meaning the new year of 2012/13.has the snow been that bad this year that you wouldnt recommend??

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow

This year has no bearing on next year. Last year was record breaking greatness and this year is record breaking sadness ;-) No one can tell you what next year will be like; however I sure hope it snows like crazy!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow

Typically our snow is very good at the New Year. This year was very odd.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow

Hi again,

Thanks so much for that.I'm aware that very few places are snow-sure.We have always had great snow in lapland but of course the temps have been -32 at times and with a 2 year old we didnt really want to subject her to that and as I said my other half has spent the past 5 years or so showing me downloads of Breckenridge.If there is at least a fair chance of him and my son getting some boarding in then I will take the chance.I've priced flights and got some quotes from condos.Cheers..xx.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow

Not all the runs may be open, but definitely snow. Plus there are many other ski resort options in the area on the same pass. You should also consider buying the Epic Pass now. If your husband will ski a lot and you just a little, then buy the EPIC pass prior to 4/15 and use the buddy passes for your ski days on his Epic Pass.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow

Last year was an epic year. Therefore, obviously, this year with a below average snow fall, it looks poorly compared to last year. However, I am a local, spoiled by all the mountain resorts surrounding us and a little biased. For someone who doesn't live all year in a similar place and is an average skier/boarder, this season was great regardless. Many tourists who enjoy intermediate terrains (mostly groomed) would not know the difference as they don't venture onto expert terrains. The town atmosphere and services provided remained unchanged and staff on the mountain are as cheery as always. There will definitely be snow in December and the resorts will be opened, but perhaps not opened 100% (it was last year, it wasn't this year). I would purchase a ski pass (epic local pass so that you don't end up spending $110+ at the ticket window each day per ticket.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow

Hi all,

Thats great info ..thanks so much.I have been looking at cabins just outside resort and as we will pick up a car from Denver we can hopefully visit other areas.I think Copper Mountain was another of his choices..about hour away?They are certainley intermediates at best and so any snow to play on will be great.Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Lesley.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow

If you are staying in Breckenridge, and purchase the Epic pass, the disadvantage of Copper (as opposed to Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, Vail, and Beaver Creek) is that you have to buy another lift ticket.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow

If you are interested in skiing at Copper, a good choice for lodging would be the town of Frisco. It is centrally located between Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain and Vail.

The Epic Local pass is a pass that gives you access to Breck, Keystone and A-Basin with unlimited access. Vail is also on the pass with a 10 day limit and blackout dates. It is on sale now for $509.00. snow.com/epic-pass/…epic-local-pass.aspx. Blackout dates for Vail include 12/26 - 12/31/12, so you could plan and go to Vail around these dates.

The price at the ticket window will be more than $110 a day during the holidays so this pass is undeniably the way to go.

Copper mountain requires a different pass but if I were to come from the UK to Summit County, I would want to ski Copper as well. The good news is that Copper Mountain often offers deals or even a 4-pack allowing you to ski 4 days for a reasonable amount. If your interest is to ski all these different mountains, then book a place that is not ski-in/ski-out but more centrally located (and cheaper) and spend more money on passes and lift tickets that will take you where you want to go. If you book in Frisco, it will take you 5-10 minutes to get to Copper, 15-20 minutes to get to Breck, 20-25 to Keystone, 30 to A-Basin, and about 35-45 minutes to Vail.

If you decide to only ski Breck, by all means get a ski-in/ski-out condo as you will save time each day, save on parking fees and maximize your time. It is worth it.