We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

Which Breckenridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

My wife and I are coming up from Houston on January 13th, staying till January 17th at the Grand Timber Lodge and skiing 3 days and maybe one night at Keystone.

I've been watching the snow report and checked the terrain status online periodically but wanted to know from those who have actually been skiing in Breck over the past two weeks how the actual skiiing conditions are right now?

This is my wife's first time skiing and I'm really hoping they get some snow between now and then!...although I don't know if it would make a big difference at this point.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

A couple of things, a good snow changes everything and you still have time.

Second since your wife will only be on groomers and I assume with an instructor she will have no troubles. The Instructor will take her to the best snow available for her skills.

Cross your fingers that we get some snow this weekend. They keep promising us some. Might work as I am not going up this weekend, it always seems to snow when I am away...

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

http://snowforecast.com/BreckenridgeSkiResort

Long range forecast / discussion...January 10 to 13

We expect another chance for snow on the 11th/ 12th (next Wednesday and Thursday) as an unsettled northwest flow aloft delivers some mostly fast moving shortwave low pressure systems across Colorado containing potential (mostly) light snow. Toward mid January the ridge across the western US may start breaking down as an arctic front and strong jet stream push south out of Canada across most of the country. The degree to which high pressure across the eastern Pacific weakens will determine how much snow is possible with our snow storms, but it looks like there will be more moisture available from off the Pacific than what we have been seeing.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

The few inches of snow expected this weekend will be arriving with a whole lot of wind (gusts to 35mph) so it's unlikely that it will make much of a difference in terms of the overall snow conditions for the season.

What's important to bear in mind is that, for a first time skier (or anyone coming to colorado to cruise groomers), you wont notice much of a difference. Of course, regardless of the snow conditions, be sure to always ski in control and within your level of ability.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

Machine made snow is fine for beginners only if the temps stay low. This 45 deg stuff makes it feel like you're skiing on sand.

Edited: 2:27 pm, January 05, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

I hope you are right! Thanks for the info.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

Everyone else is completely correct. However, Breck's hasn't gotten any good snow in quite some time, and I hit some rough patchs and rocks at the end of last week while I was there. The entire area is like that though - haven't gotten much snow yet this winter.

You might consider, while you're up there, snowmobiling or dogsledding also. Book in advance though, as spots fill up quickly when the ski conditions aren't so great.

7. Re: What are the current ski conditions in Breck?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 15, 2013