We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving back to airport on President's day

Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
driving back to airport on President's day

Just wondering how bad is traffic and what time to leave Breckenridge for Denver Airport. We have a 9:45pm flight.

Would it be better to leave at a certain time of the afternoon? or 5pm or later?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving back to airport on President's day

The usual est 2 hr trip could be anywhere from 4 - 6 hrs on Pres Day. There will be traffic like you've never seen before and could be worse if bad weather sets in. Leave at 3?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,092 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving back to airport on President's day

Having almost missed a flight once, and having almost missed a funeral due to an accident closing I-70 for several hours, I tend to be on the cautious side. Plus, I don't know about flights that late but with lots of people flying out that evening, security lines might be longer than normal... I would leave early in the day, then if all goes well and I had some time on my hands I'd poke around Denver for a while, have a nice early-ish dinner, then head for the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving back to airport on President's day

I totally agree with with missp on all counts. Get out of Breck earlier in the day. Nothing more frustrating than crawling down I-70, wondering if you're ever gonna get to the airport on time. And yes, all the little time wasters at the airport, especially when it's very busy. I'd enjoy the morning in Breck and then head out by midday.

Mentioned in this post
Breck Inn
Breck Inn
311 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving back to airport on President's day

I think if you are on the road by 1pmish you will be fine but still encounter traffic to to Denver. The state patrol is doing some sort of speed traffic monitoring where on heavy weekends they will send a cop car out front and cruise it going 50mph from Silverthorne for about 30+ miles.

Your other option is to take the back way, Breck-Fairplay-Denver. It will probably have some traffic as well but might be a nice change of scenary.

If you leave around 1-2pm you will get into Denver fine, grab some dinner and make your way over to the airport. But it will not be a 65mph cruise to Denver. Expect delays. If you do go via I-70 there is a digital sign above you as you go from Frisco to Silverthorne that will say how long it takes to get to Denver, typical time is 1hr-1hr 10minutes, anything longer and you know you got traffic.

Also, check out this website before you leave to monitor traffic. Click on various cameras along the I-70 to see how traffic is going.

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

You can zoom in to see more cameras.

Matt

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Breck Inn
Breck Inn
311 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving back to airport on President's day

Thanks everyone for your comments!

6. Re: driving back to airport on President's day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge