We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Breckenridge

Wear Hat Under Helmet?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
21 helpful votes
Wear Hat Under Helmet?
Save

I will be renting skis and a helmet in March. It'll be the first time wearing a helmet. Do folks normally wear a hat under the helmet or does the helmet provide enough warmth from the cold and wind? Thank you!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
66 helpful votes
1. Re: Wear Hat Under Helmet?
Save

I've been told by friends and Loveland personnel that the helmet is enough warmth and protection from wind. Also, if you do wear a hat AND a helmet, depending on the thickness of the hat, it may obscure the effectiveness of the helmet (not being perfectly on your head/ moving around/ etc.); or so I've been told by instructors and such.

Have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
15,546 posts
67 reviews
63 helpful votes
2. Re: Wear Hat Under Helmet?
Save

I wear thin fleece hat under my helmet without problems. I am a thermal wimp and need all the warmth I can get. Most all of my female friends do the same. Guys seem to get to warm with a hat and helmet.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
12 reviews
69 helpful votes
3. Re: Wear Hat Under Helmet?
Save

You could wear a thin beanie underneath but I've never had any problems with warmth with just my helmet alone. In fact, some days it's too warm! Thank goodness for the vents on those things!

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
242 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Wear Hat Under Helmet?
Save

I like wearing my headband with my helmet for two reasons. It keeps my ears warmer and my hair is not so flat when I take it off for lunch. It's a fashion thing, don't ya know. :-)

5. Re: Wear Hat Under Helmet?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 19, 2009