We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Orlando
11 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report

We just spent 5 days in Colorado, to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed in Breckenridge on the advise that its central location would make for good day trips, and it did.

Great deal from Dollar on the rental car near DIA. Reserved a Sebring for $95 a week, but had a Dodge Nitro suv in my spot when we arrived - (same rate!:) First thing we did was head to Estes Park, where they were having the Elk Festival. We explored and had lunch there. Fun town with lots of energy.

Then we set off on the Trail Ridge Road. While it was as beautiful and spectacular as advertised, the higher we drove, the more nervous the combination of curves and cliffs made us. By the time we reached the Alpine Visitors Center, it wasn't fun anymore. It was very windy and blustery. It was much better from there on down toward Winter Park and eventually we hit I-70 and made our way on to Breckenridge where our VRBO was.

The next day was essentially walking around Breckenridge in the morning and Frisco for a while in the afternoon. Very cool stuff and both towns had good informative historical sights.

On Sunday morning we woke up to snow and headed off to Glenwood Springs and Aspen. We stopped in Vail (Beaver Creek actually) for church service at the Interfaith Chapel. Just beautiful!

We had lunch in Glenwood Spgs, and although I had been told to spend a lot more time there, we hit Hwy 82 and went to Aspen, so we could see the Maroon Bells. Spectacular! The shuttle bus driver must be a scientist on the side, because his 15 minute oratory was top notch.

On Monday we visited Dillon and Keystone, scouted out a place for our anniversary dinner. As many posters advised, the Summit Daily had several 2for1 coupons. We decided on the Hearthstone in Breckenridge and just loved it. Tried some Colorado trout and even Elk!

Our last day stated with snow again, and a trip to Daylight Doughnuts - good call there! We drove to Colorado Springs via the safe route (I70 to I25) instead of through the smaller roads. Visited the Air Force Academy and the Focus on the Family center.

Other than our flatlander aversion to curvy mountain roads (those warnings to truckers to use low gear did not help my wife at all), Colorado was simply spectacular! The Aspens were incredible and the cold air refreshing! I'm convinced we will have to start planning our next trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

I'm so glad you had such a good time! You really got a lot in during five days!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,834 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report. I love it when people tell us about thier trips to our wonderful state.

Orlando
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Another tidbit to add. While we were there, CU upset Oklahoma in football, and the Rockies hosted the Padres in the one game "play in". The excitement was contagious as fans were packed in everywhere cheering, especially for the baseball game on Monday night.

4. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge