We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get away for young couple

White Bear Lake, MN
2 posts
Save Topic
Get away for young couple

My hubbie and I are looking for a great location in town for July 2-4th. We like to go out at night, enjoy hiking during the day and prefer to keep the cost down. I'm looking at the Village at Breck, but am hesitant based on comments about dated hotel. What about the Lodge and Spa or the Great Divide? Potatokey sounds like she knows her stuff......any suggestions? We want to walk to the restaurants/bars at night- or cab or take a shuttle. Thanks!

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get away for young couple

have you tried Hocksnest.com or VRBO.com ? they have 1 bedroom units that you can lease through them.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Get away for young couple

Read the TA reviews on the Lodge and Spa. Not encouraging. Besides if you want to walk to places that's not the place to stay anyway. I've always stayed at Main Street Station so that's my only reference point in Breck.

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get away for young couple

Sorry, can't help you with the lodging.

For a fine dining experience, amongst the best restaurants in Colorado is the Cafe Alpine, 106 East Adams Ave., 970-453-8218

www.cafealpine.com

And for a nice, high alpine hike, take Colorado Hwy 9 South of Breckenridge to the top of Hoosier Pass (about 10 miles). Park there, head off on the trail headed West, and you'll hike to the top of North Star. Mt Quandry will be to your North (the next mountain over) and Mt. Lincoln (the next Mountain over) will be to your South. And you'll have one of the most majestic views available in Colorado. Not a bad hike, pretty much all above timberline, and on a well-marked trail.

if you are familiar with the photo site flickr, do a query for "Hoosier Pass" and have a look around. Also there are photos posted on Google Earth of this area of Colorado, too.

Enjoy!

Breckenridge, CO
Level Contributor
734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get away for young couple

The Village units are individually owned, so some are nice and some are dated. I agree that the Lodge and Spa needs help. VRBO is a great resource to find condos all over town.

I don't agree with the Cafe Alpine recommendation. I think the food is way overpriced, and service is pretentious. Plus, we've had some bad meals there. For reasonably priced food, try Relishes just off the Riverwalk. Eric Mamula, who owns Downstairs at Erics, just opened a new restaurant on Main Street, where the Horseshoe II used to be. It's called Modus or something like that. Based on the success he's had with Eric's, I suspect it will be a good addition to the upscale dining scene.

White Bear Lake, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Get away for young couple

Thanks to all for your input. We will report back our experience. I booked the Great Divide Lodge. Crossing our fingers. Opted not to stay at the Village and the Lodge and Spa seemed farther out of town than we had hoped for. Hope to enjoy some hiking- thanks for the info.

6. Re: Get away for young couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge