We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

Reading...
Level Contributor
9 posts
169 reviews
83 helpful votes
Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

I'm really back & forth about booking a shuttle to/from the airport vs renting a car...which would also affect where we would stay.

I'm planning a surprise 5-day 40th present for my husband in February (non-holiday weekend). Nothing's booked yet b/c I'm waiting to be approved off from work, so I'm just in the research phase, but need to make a decision this week.

Questions #1/2:

Cost & hassle-wise is it worth it to take the shuttle from Denver to Breck (From what I can see, it would cost up to $300 total roundtrip.) vs renting a car? It seems as if renting a car would be cheaper, however, I read somewhere that in February they make you rent an SUV because of potential road conditions. Is this true, or could I rent a cheaper economy-rate car?

Question #3:

If we were to take the shuttle & skip renting a car, is it a hassle to go car-free for 5 days? The bus seems to run all over the place, but does it get so crowded that you could end up standing out in the cold waiting for the next run. We'd want to ride the bus to get to & from the mountain as well as to go back out at night to have some drinks.

Questions #4/5:

We stayed in Frisco during the summer & loved being halfway between Breck & Dillon. If we went car-free, would we regret staying out in Frisco vs paying a bit more to be right in town? Is there a bus that would take us from Fresco to Breck so that we could then get on the Breck bus?

Question #6:

If we try to go car-free, is Uber pretty active for drinks out in Dillon?

Thanks so much, & sorry so long!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,507 posts
451 reviews
196 helpful votes
1. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

For two persons I would recommend a shuttle. Then you have no hassle with driving in snow, etc. I think you'll come in a bit under your estimate if you shop around a bit. It's unlikely you can get a car and fuel for that price.

If you're going car less, I would go Breckenridge - just a ton more to do and easier to get to it. Locals can respond on Uber, but my experience in the mountains is that it's pretty limited and not anything you could rely on. Others may know differently.

Have fun.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
135 posts
26 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

I have rented an economy car in the winter, although if you keep an eye out for deals, it's possible to get a small SUV for the same price. I don't think they "make" you rent an SUV, but weather is certainly something to think about.

Colorado
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
198 reviews
105 helpful votes
3. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

Sorry:

<I read somewhere that in February they make you rent an SUV because of potential road conditions.>

Utter and complete rubbish. All rental vehicles are equipped with M+S snow tires. If you feel like conditions warrant an all-wheel drive vehicle, you should stay off the road no matter what vehicle you're in.

Even if you rent a vehicle for part of the time you're in Breck, I would leave the driving to the pros on your arrival and departure date. Bus service is easy enough to use or walk if you're staying in Breck.

Edited: 3:39 pm, December 05, 2016
Summit County...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

If you plan on staying in Breckenridge, it's easier to stay in town or on a shuttle route and go car-free. This post has some good tips and info: …gobreck.com/index.php/… (not just about where you stay, but also consider your flight times)

The Summit Stage goes from Breck to Frisco -- but what you make up for in cost, you lose in vacation time, which is more of a personal decision. It takes about 30-35 minutes each way from Frisco to Breck on the Stage.

Uber is definitely most active on weekends during ski season. I'm wondering if you're in Breck, why Dillon for drinks? If it's to see friends, try to convince them to meet at the bar in Summit Cove or in Keystone--the Swan Mountain Flyer (through Summit Stage) would make that easier than Dillon w/out worrying about Uber.

Reading...
Level Contributor
9 posts
169 reviews
83 helpful votes
5. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

Thanks, everyone! It's sounding like getting the shuttle, going carless, & then using the bus system is the way to go...and makes for not worrying about having a car to take a care of...I've also made the final decision to stay in Breck near Main Street to be near the slopes.

As for Dillon & Frisco, we had visited during the summers & enjoyed the breweries there, & I was hoping to revisit. It looks like it's pretty easy to get to both on the bus.

Thanks again!

Jen

Virginia, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
39 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

Hey Jen, same questions as myself for Feb, we are not experienced with snow driving so have to opt for shuttles - I'm amazed at the $300 and every company is the same price, if you find anything cheaper please post!! I'm at Whistler at the moment and grabbed a Groupon for $55 return for 2, but so far haven't found anyone under $300 for Denver / Breck.

7. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, December 11, 2016
Brownsburg, Indiana
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

1. I would go with the shuttle from Denver. My daughter lives in Frisco. The shuttles are much more relaxing and allow you to enjoy the scenery on the way. These drivers are also tuned into the local driving conditions and various routes. They can get you thru when you would have not been able to make it on your own. A car or SUV with a 4 cyl. engine can be a trial for you to drive on some of the slopes getting to Frisco.

2. Unless you are really into the sky resort nightlife I would stay in Frisco. I have met some people that work in the Condo business in Breck and they all recommend staying in Frisco. Except at real crush times the shuttle system will provide good service.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

We've stayed & skied in Breck 4 times now. Used the shuttle from Denver each time and never had any issues or hassles with the bus shuttle services within Breck and to Keystone, Arapaho, Frisco and Silverthorne. Van shuttles to Vail and Copper Mountain are reasonably priced if you wish to go further afield.

Reading...
Level Contributor
9 posts
169 reviews
83 helpful votes
10. Re: Denver to Breck-shuttle vs car rental-?

Hello Jetset23. I was able to find a shuttle from the Denver airport to Breck at what I think is going to be the cheapest option. The company is called Fast Tracks Transportation. They charge $250 if you want to be picked up in your own private shuttle straight from your flight. If you're willing to be picked up based off their shuttle schedule, the price drops to $180. They run shuttles every hour. Hope this helps!

Get answers to your questions about Breckenridge