We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Hi, I'm getting my freshman ready for UC Boulder. Flying out with him for move in late August. I know about possibly using Bed Bath and Beyond for linens, bedding, etc. and having shipped to the local store. Since we are flying, I don't feel we can pack a ton. And, buying there mgiht be easier than shipping to CO. But, am not familiar with the area (yet) and wondered about where the "big box' stores like Target, Best Buy, etc. are located so I can make hotel reservations. I'm sure we will need to pick up a lot of stuff prior to moving him in.

Any pointers regarding UC Boulder would be great.

Thanks.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Boulder has all those stores. You will have no problems finding everything you need. Are you flying into Denver and renting a car? A car rental will be much easier than using public transportation, but the latter is possible. If you stay in Boulder you will be only a couple miles from CU Boulder and from all those stores. There is also a larger mall called Flatirons Crossing in Broomfield (southeast on the 36 turnpike) that also is surrounded by big box stores. There are a lot of hotel options there as well. In fact, you might find that getting out of Boulder (just a little) gives you more options because you won't be shopping with all the students in Boulder who are without cars. I wish your student well at CU!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

CU not UC! I know it doesn't make sense, but that is how it is. From the CU campus about 2 miles to Target, Best Buy etc. I moved my son into dorms here in New Mexico last year. 1/2 of what was on the list was not needed and 1/2 of what was needed only 1/2 of that was used. LOL! I have 2 sets of xl twin sheets never to be used again, 24 washcloths and more IKEA kitchen items than any household can use, lol!

I hope he enjoys CU and GO BUFFS! Yes, I'm an alumni!

Denver,CO
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Alumnus not Alumni! ;) Go Buffs!!

Arvada, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

The Bed Bath and Beyond there very much caters to the students but be fore warned - it's a mad house right before school.

We live just 20 minutes from campus and when we moved our son in last year we stopped there to pick up a fan - it was a bit crazy. But they also carry a lot of CU logo stuff.

I can give tips for the engineering dorms but I'm not familiar with the others.

We also bought a lot of stuff that will never be used again, that's for sure.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Target is also insanely busy! I have heard that it is the top grossing store in the country in August. A couple of years ago they held a private shopping event just for students from 10-30-12:30 pm during welcome week festivities. I don't know if they will be doing it again. (I try not to shop there for the 2 weeks or so when students are returning. Hard to find a parking spot.)

Edited: 4:19 pm, July 16, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Micktooth your first post ever on any of the Colorado forums is to correct my grammar??? Whatever, lol! I didn't major in Latin, or English. But thanks for pointing out my error.

Edited: 8:14 pm, July 16, 2013
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

LOL. Hadn't noticed that.

For the OP, don't underestimate the craziness at the local stores doing exactly what you need to do. Go on line and see about the other stores (Target, etc) that are a little further away from campus. Superior/Louisville come to mind. It was still be crazy, but slightly less so.

Have fun!

Denver,CO
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Actually I was just joking, though it's hard for that to come out in a post. Many people not from the area consider the University of Colorado to be "UC"

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice as well as pointing out my UC error. Who'd have thunk that? I will research the hotels a bit further away from campus and see what's what.

Keep the advice coming........anything that would be helpful getting a freshman settled in. He will be in the Williams Village area - he's not too happy about being "off" campus, but I'm sure he'll adjust. Love info on local restaurants frequented by students when not eating at the dining halls, etc. I want to get him a supply of gift cards to keep him fed. (can you all tell he's my first?)

Thank you!

Denver,CO
Level Contributor
302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UC Boulder - Moving in a freshman

My son will be a sophomore this year at CU. He didn't live in Williams Village, but he has friends that lived there and loved it. In fact he is looking at apartments very close by. Costco is another great store to stock up on college stuff.