We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boulder Falls is closed

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Boulder Falls is closed

I have been remiss in reporting this (sorry). I thought the trail was open based on the # of cars and people I see there every week.

I called Parks & Open Space and they do not have a projected opening date. You can see the falls from the road. It is a very bad idea to crawl over the gate.

Call or check the website if you had planned to hike the short trail: 303-441-3440

www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php…

From the OSMP website:

Boulder Falls Trail remains closed. The trail was scheduled to open on May 1, 2013, but will remain closed for some time. While OSMP hoped to be able to open the trail on May 1 as usual, due to the unusual number of snow storms and amount of snow received in April this year, the scaling that needs to be done before opening the trail was not possible. This work will be completed as soon as it can be arranged so the trail can be opened.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boulder Falls is closed

I routinely refer people to the Boulder Falls trail as part of their route from Denver to Estes Park. I kept thinking they would get the needed work done soon. So much for my thinking. I did remember to caution folks recently that the trail might not be open due to unstable rocks as I had also checked the above site and realized to my surprise that the trail was still closed.

Olathe, Kansas...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Boulder Falls is closed

The falls trail was closed when we drove by today, 9/04/13. We had planned to stop and hike to the falls, but no such luck!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boulder Falls is closed

Doubt that it will reopen this year at all. The water level is pretty low right now and the waterfall isn't that impressive this late in the summer. It is not really a "hike", it's a short walk. So you didn't miss much.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boulder Falls is closed

Thought I'd update this thread.

The Boulder Falls trail is still closed and there is no date set for it to reopen. The info on the OSMP website has not been updated.

The danger for falling rocks is even worse because of the floods last year. They have not been able to do any of the rock scaling work they had planned to do last year.

PLEASE do not climb over the gate. It would be hazardous to your health.

(I did note the irony in my last post in September - a week before the floods!)

Edited: 12:35 pm, May 01, 2014
5. Re: Boulder Falls is closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 03, 2015