We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, Ca
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

We are going to graduation in Boulder in May and want to book a room soon so as to have a nice place and not pay a fortune.

It will be my husband, myself, both of our daughters and my son in law. We probably have to get two rooms or possibly one suite. I would like to be close to down town and CU. We would like a nice clean place that would cost no more than $100 to $150 a night. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also if you have any fun and inexpensive restaurant suggestions for a group of 10 to 15 people, I would welcome any suggestions.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

When I was up in Boulder a few weeks ago I drove past the Boulder University Inn which is walking distance to both the Pearl Street Mall and to CU. It looked very nice from the outside. Also a bit further walk to both is Quality Inn and Suites. I have not been there and did not drive by so can't help you any more on that.

Plenty of fun places to dine on Pearl Street. Things have really changed in the many years since I graduated from CU. Places we used to go that are still around include Old Chicago Pizza, The Dark Horse, The Sink, The Gondolier, Abo's Pizza. Also in Boulder is a sister restaurant to one here in Santa Fe which we love.... The Railyard Restaurant

Check this link for some more ideas. http://www.boulderdowntown.com/

NE
Level Contributor
272 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

Hi,

We stayed at the University Inn in May '08 for our son's graduation. Typically we stay further away from The Hill, but for graduation weekend we knew we wanted to be more centrally located and not have to deal with too much driving or parking on the day of the event.

I would highly recommend this hotel for graduation weekend. The rooms are okay, clean, nothing fancy. But the location cannot be beat for the price.

If weather allows, you can easily walk to graduation/campus (assuming no major ailments/disabilities) and avoid the traffic and parking.

It is also a great location for dining and shopping on the Hill and Pearl Street. Again, you can leave your car at the Inn and easily walk to either location.

When son #2 graduates in 2011 we will definitely be staying at the University Inn again.

We usually stay at the Best Western Buff Lodge (we visit Boulder 2-3 a year). In our opinion, for the price the rooms are much nicer, the free continental breakfast is a plus, and although it is a drive to campus/the Hill/Pearl Street the location is good. But out preferance for graduation weekend was to be more centrally located so the University Inn was our choice and we were very happy that we chose to stay there.

If you have not already, call the University Inn (or any other hotel you may be considering) ASAP to find out when they start taking reservations for graduation weekend. I believe I booked mine in October for the following May. Some hotels do not take reservations until after Jan 1st. And most hotels have a minimum night requirement.

As far as dining recommendations, there are sooo many good restaurants to choose from. On Pearl Street: If you like Mexican, the Rio Grande can accommodate a group that size and has a fun, festive atmosphere. The Walnut Brewery is also very good and besides the great beer serves a little bit of everything. Another favorite of ours is the Boulder Cafe. And I am sure your daughter can give you some options as well.

Again, once you have an idea of where you want to eat, call them and find out what their graduation weekend reservation policy is. A few places we wanted to go (less then 10 in our group) would not take reservations.

Happy graduation weekend planning!

Mare

San Jose, Ca
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

Hi!

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions.

I did make a reservation at the University Inn.

I am glad to hear that you liked it. Also the

walking to graduation and down town is a big

plus! The restaurant suggestions look great!

Thank you so much!

Peggy

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

University Inn sounds great so I wouldn't change it but just for future reference or if you have friends this site was developed just for weekends like graduation in boulder boulder.collegeweekends.com/default.aspx

5. Re: Where to stay in Boulder for graduation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 21, 2010