We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado honeymoon

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coarsegold...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado honeymoon

my son and his fiancee are getting married in early April and plan to honeymoon in colorado. AS none of us has ever been to Colorado, they are unsure of where to go, where to stay and so on. They picked Colorado because they are both avid hikers and climbers and read somewhere that the most fit people live in Colorado! They plan to fly from California to Denver, and then have between a week or two to spend. They seem to be particularly impressed with the Boulder area (I guess the fittest of the fit live there, I dunno!) Anyway, can some of you CO experts suggest an itinerary and/or places to stay which would include hiking? They will have a rented car, but I am wondering about driving at the higher elevations in early April? Thank you- any suggestions/advice appreciated.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado honeymoon

Early April is still ski season. Do they ski?

In Boulder look at http://www.stjulien.com/

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
637 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado honeymoon

Early April limits the hiking possibilities to lower elevations, unless they have some experience in hiking on snow or snowshoeing -- snow will probably still be abundant at higher elevations.

The good news is that Boulder has numerous wonderful trails in town and close by which will likely be snow-free for at least part of their trip.

As for driving into the mountains, I wouldn't be too worried about that. If they want to tour around and just check the road conditions beforehand, again it is highly likely that they can find lots of dry roads in the mountains during at least part of their time in Colorado.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado honeymoon

Unfortunately, in April, many of the great hiking trails are covered in several feet of snow. But, the could snowshoe, which is really fun!

If they are going to Boulder, Rocky Mnt. Nat. Park is just an hour away and offers some of the best hiking in CO. They can also head into the ski resort towns. Even if they don't ski, it's a really fun area to visit. Vail, Breckenridge, Winter Park, and Beaver Creek are some of my favorite places to go.

Driving in CO in April can be hit or miss. The roads can be dry and it hasn't snowed in several weeks, or a big storm could hit and the roads could be snowy, it's very hard to say! I would maybe advise they rent an SUV or an all-wheel vehicle just in case it happens to snow before or during their trip out here. CO is pretty good about plowing all major roads and interstates, so they should be just fine!

Coarsegold...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado honeymoon

They cross country ski and snowshoe and have snowmobiles (we live in the mntns of California). Would these be available to rent as they are flying in? The St. Julian looks nice but a little posh. I think they are thinking more in the area of a cabin with heat source and kitchen. Any advice?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado honeymoon

Another option to consider: Early April is generally a great time to hike in Colorado National Monument (Grand Junction) and/or Arches National Park in Moab, Dominguez-Escalante Wilderness Area and the Gateway area also. (Good deals can often be found at the beautiful Gateway Canyons Resort) There's snow shoeing, cross country skiing, and snowmobiling (and cabins) available on Grand Mesa not far from Grand Junction. coloradodirectory.com/sprucelodgegrandmesa/ www.coloradodirectory.com/grandmesalodge/

www.coloradodirectory.com/mesalakesresort/

Maybe a few days in a nice hotel in Boulder, a few days in Estes Park, and a few days on Grand Mesa or Grand Junction/Moab?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado honeymoon

A cabin? Well in Boulder proper probably not. A condo/studio more likely. Not that far away is Nederland. You might look at vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…nederland

Babalax, what do you think?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado honeymoon

Oh and yes you should be able to rent skis/snowshoes

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colorado honeymoon

Alli is right, no such thing as cabin rentals in Boulder. Nederland is 17 miles west up Boulder Canyon. The only place that comes to mind is Arapaho Ranch on the Eldora road along Middle Boulder Creek. However, I don't know if they rent their cabins in the winter/spring. Here is a link:

http://www.vrbo.com/20685

I also came across this website --you/they may find it helpful:

coloradodirectory.com/Cabins/CabinSearch.html

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colorado honeymoon

As everyone has said, April is just about the worst time to come to Colorado.

The weather can still be very cold, snowing even, yet the ski season pretty much shuts down by the 1st week of April.

High Country hiking trails will be snow covered and even trails around Boulder can be wet and mucky. You can do snow and ice hiking/climbing but that is for experienced people only. It is not the kind of thing you can say.... oh I think I'll go out and do that today.

Even southern sites in Colorado can be dicey. I was at Great Sand Dunes in mid May a couple of years ago. It was snowing and with the high winds I froze to death.

As was pointed out, it WOULD be an amazing time to see spots in Utah such as Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Moab and Canyon Lands. That would be an excellent hiking, biking, climbing vacation.

If you want to just come to Boulder to hang, there is always stuff to do. You can certainly ride road and mountain bikes, do some local hiking, join a running club or two on a run, climb in a gym or out with a guide, see a couple of music shows, eat, shop etc. But.... there is so much MORE to do if you could just put off the honeymoon until June.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colorado honeymoon

"As everyone has said, April is just about the worst time to come to Colorado." ???

Interesting, I didn't infer that from any other post. April may not be the "best" month, but it certainly is not the worst. Ski resorts are open at least until mid April and into the third week. The weather can be -- and usually is -- very nice. Yes, there can be a chance of a late season snowfall but most hiking trails in Boulder are accessible. Climbers can be seen in Boulder Canyon and Eldorado Springs just about any time of year except perhaps December and January.

visitingboulder.com/rock-climbing-in-boulder…