We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff House

Which Boulder hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Topic
Flagstaff House

We plan to go to this restaurant when we are in Boulder in June. Do most men wear jackets and ties? My husband will be very upset if they do and I don't pack one for him. I am trying to cut down on the luggage we take.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff House

Some wear jackets and ties, many do not. It is not required. In the summer months slacks and a polo (golf) shirt are acceptable, especially when dining out on the patio.

From their website: The Flagstaff House Restaurant enforces the following dinner dress code policy. Business casual attire is permitted at all times. Acceptable business attire includes collared shirts, casual pants, slacks, skirts and dresses. Clothing must be neat and presentable.

Not acceptable: shorts, t-shirts, athletic attire, tank tops, sweatsuits or jogging suits, ripped, torn or frayed clothing.

Enjoy, it is a lovely place to dine!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff House

Bemar:

I would pack a jacket and tie for your husband if you are going to the Flagstaff House for dinner. My husband generally wears a jacket and tie to dinner there and I think your husband will find that most male diners do so. There are some men who will wear a polo shirt and nice slacks, or a nice T-shirt with a jacket (kind of a Boulder thing).

I'm sure you'll enjoy your dinner.

Broder

San Francisco
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff House

Thank you both for posting. I was trying to get away with carry on luggage but I guess that it won't work.He has some mobility problems so I am the one who has to handle luggage.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff House

No way do you need to drag a jacket and tie to Colorado. My husband and I love Flagstaff House - one of our all-time favorite places to dine! IMO those who wear jacket and tie are not from Colorado - a nice shirt and nice slacks are totally dress up in CO. My husband never wears a jacket and tie, it is just not the Colorado way. Enjoy your trip!

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff House

Hi Bemar:

I try not to post messages that say things like "no way do you need...." to do one thing or another, but to instead add respectful opinions that might assist other travelers in making their own decision on what might work best for them.

You should ask your husband his preference on the jacket/tie issue, but I would suggest that given that you stated he'd be upset if you didn't pack a jacket/tie if others were wearting them that he may be the type of person more comfortable in that attire.

The above poster thought only those from outside Colorado would wear a jacket and tie to the Flagstaff House. I would disagree with that assertion but it may be an issue of age and/or how long a person has been going to the Flagstaff house.

I looked at your profile and saw you were in the 65+ age group. My husband and I are in our 50's and I have lived in Boulder (which is where the Flagstaff is located) for 25 years. My husband is a life long Colorado native. We dine there quite often and my husband usually wears a sport coat and tie. You can certainly go to the Flagstaff house in "resort casual" wear, but it is a destination restaurant, to which many people go for special occassions so you may want to consider that in making your choice.

Whatever you decide, have a lovely dinning experience.

Broder

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff House

Hi Bemar:

I try not to post messages that say things like "no way do you need...." to do one thing or another, but to instead add respectful opinions that might assist other travelers in making their own decision on what might work best for them.

You should ask your husband his preference on the jacket/tie issue, but I would suggest that given that you stated he'd be upset if you didn't pack a jacket/tie if others were wearting them that he may be the type of person more comfortable in that attire.

The above poster thought only those from outside Colorado would wear a jacket and tie to the Flagstaff House. I would disagree with that assertion but it may be an issue of age and/or how long a person has been going to the Flagstaff house.

I looked at your profile and saw you were in the 65+ age group. My husband and I are in our 50's and I have lived in Boulder (which is where the Flagstaff is located) for 25 years. My husband is a life long Colorado native. We dine there quite often and my husband usually wears a sport coat and tie. You can certainly go to the Flagstaff house in "resort casual" wear, but it is a destination restaurant, to which many people go for special occassions so you may want to consider that in making your choice.

Whatever you decide, have a lovely dinning experience.

Broder

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff House

No offensive intended or personal attack towards you broder, my comments had nothing to do with your feedback. They were directed to bemar's question. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I digress...

Bemar, My husband and I search out foodie spots everywhere we travel, and dine at Flagstaff House whenever we can - more so when we lived directly in the area. Boulder (Colorado in general) is more laid back, it's just not fancy dress up for fine dining here; However there are those who choose to. Seeing how you will be struggling with luggage, it is unnecessary IMO to bring extra clothing you will only use once. (sound better? LOL) Perhaps 5-10% of those dining will have jacket and tie, maybe another 10% with sport jackets, and the rest smart casual. Look at Flagstaff's website for confirmation (which the first poster quoted).

Have a great meal - it is truly delicious with impeccable service! If you choose not to dine outside (the evenings can be chilly, even in the height of summer), ask for the corner table in the wine cellar - it has a full glass window corner overlooking Boulder - very private and absolutely lovely - you must reserve the table well ahead of time. There are only a few tables in the room. Have Fun!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flagstaff House

Thank you all

We botAh graduated from CU in 1957.

Flagstaff House was a lot different then.You can't imagine what we used to do in the parking lot and now they have valet parking. We met the ownwr a few years ago in Mexico. He didn't own it then.In the 50s it was where you went when your parents came to town.We did go back in the 80s and it was a lot different

We are going to be in Boulder for 4 nights. Any other suggestions?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,982 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flagstaff House

Go Buffs! I am a 1981 CU grad. My dates and I always felt better wearing nicer clothes to Flagstaff House, skirts/dresses for me, slacks/dress shirt/jacket with or without a tie for the guys! If we went today, my husband would at least wear a sport coat, maybe not a tie.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,982 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flagstaff House

PS Bemer... my aunt graduated in 1957 from CU!