We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

We're flying into Denver, staying for 8 days of skiing in Feb 2013. Thinking of getting a place in BC and skiing there for a few days, and then day tripping to Vail, Breckenridge, Steamboat (a long drive I know), and/or Aspen. We'd like to see some other places, so we know where to go next time and cause its fun to see new mountains.

Where do you recommend staying to ski a couple differnt mountains and to relax with the family? Would like a nice family friendly area to stay in. I'm thiking BeaverCreek.

Is BC super busy and crazy?

Thanks,

Dave

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,916 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Beaver Creek is great. You may find you're comfortable enough there you don't want to travel. I would definitely urge you to pick maybe one or two daytrips and not try to hit everything or you'll defeat the purpose of staying in a resort. Vail is easy. But all the others are significant commitments. You might also want to stick in the Vail Resorts family (Vail, BC, Breck, Keystone, A Basin) so you can save on tickets.

In Beaver Creek you also have the choice of staying in the village at the base of the ski area or down in Avon. In the village, look at the Hyatt as the most convenient and highest level of accommodations - totally slopeside. In Avon, the Westin is fantastic. Both will be top end price.

Steamboat is a wonderful place. However, it's just a long drive for a daytrip. I think you'll have a better time if you just stay in Beaver Creek village and make a daytrip over to Vail and maybe to Breck one day.

Have fun.

Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Thanks!

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Vail is the largest ski mountain in North America, You could ski there an entire week and never ski the same run twice. Beaver creek is just 10 minutes away. Between the two, it should give you plenty of variety.

Personally, I think your plan is not my idea of a fun vacation!! You are coming to ski, not spend hours on a highway looking at tail lights & possibly driving in very dangerous conditions. Too stressful in MY book!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

^^ 10 minutes as the bird flies. From Vail central to BC lift area is abt 13 miles. At least 30 minutes, prob longer if you've got kids. Still worth the trip.

Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Thanks for the relies.

After looking at the online trail maps, I think we'll try to stay at Breckenridge. It looks like a huge mountain with plenty of advanced and intermediate terrain, which works for our group. I think lodging is less expensive too. Then we'll head to vail or BC one or two days to see something new, only an hour away.

Thanks again

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

"Vail is the largest ski mountain in North America"

Just a point of correction, you could almost fit two Vails into one Whistler. Vail is the largest ski resort in the continental United States and is roughly tied with Breckenridge as the most crowded ski resort in North America in terms of skier visits.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,492 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Skier visits mean little, it is skier per acre of open terrain that matters. At one time Breck won that category but it is hard to find stats these days.

That said Beaver Creek and Breckenridge are very different places. I find it odd you are thinking between the 2?

If you are wanting to try skiing different places I'd look at staying in Frisco. It is central to Copper, Breck, Keystone and Vail. Plus it has a cute little main street for dining and strolling about. There is a tubing hill and a great dinner sleigh-ride operation in Frisco too.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

Agreed with alli. Frisco might be a good choice if you're wanting to go to several resorts.

Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

If altitude sickness is an issue for y'all, I would highly recommend Beaver Creek or Vail since they are over 1000 ft lower altitude than Breck. Also, BC tends to be significantly less crowded

10. Re: Where to stay Feb 2013 for 8 days of skiing/boarding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, January 07, 2014