We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Hi, this would be our girls first snow trip. Have heard great things about both but some considerations:

1. Great kid school

2. Easy terrain

3. Ease to get around

4. Less crowds (I know given this one is difficult given the rime of year)

5. Other activities besides skiing. (my parents are going also and they don't plan to ski)

6. Good Dining Options

Traveling party:

Me 34

DH 41

DD 8

DD6

Father 74

Mother 63

Thank you, so much

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

"4. Less crowds (I know given this one is difficult given the rime of year)"

There are many resorts in Colorado and each is wonderful in its own way. However, Breckenridge is not a resort I would consider at that time of the year if crowds are a consideration.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

I tend to agree with Smushie about crowds and Breckenridge but Beaver Creek is pretty limited for non-skiers but a great place for kids to learn. Beaver Creek is a bit lower in altitude that might mean something or not.

So if it is more to do for the non-skiers, Breck, good for kids to learn Beaver Creek. If your parents are fine with going beyond Beaver Creek then that would be easier.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,639 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Given your interests, I would also wholeheartedly recommend Beaver Creek. You will find enough for everyone to do. And the village has a wonderfully charming feel to it. Both will be busy but, for sure, Breckenridge will be more of a mad house. Given it's on-mountain village location, Beaver Creek tends to be a bit more sane on holidays like this.

On the elevation point that alli noted, it is a factor. I live at 6,400 and I do notice the altitude in Breck - but never Beaver Creek. It's about a 1,500 foot difference.

Have fun.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

My vote for Beaver Creek . . . if money is a non-issue. Outstanding dining options.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Thanks a lot.

In Breck we had decided on One Ski Hill, since it was close to ski school and lifts, also it has a restaurant.

If we were to decide on BC any lodging suggestions? Pines Lodge seems very tempting but the rooms don't have kitchens and I can't seem to be able to find out how close to the kids ski school it is.

How much more expensive in terms of dining is BC compared to Breck? As Lift and school fees are pretty much the same...

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

If money is not a huge issue (and if BC is on the list I would assume it isn't), is there any reason why you've limited your search to these two resorts?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

smushie,

We took Vail out because It is too big and we felt more comfortable in a smaller place with the kids.

And a little bit of things to do for non skiers

Ease of access from Denver Airport and these three Colorado resorts plus Aspen are the best know here (Mexico).

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Beaver Creek has a fab ski school and great activities for the kids. You will definetly want a condo over a hotel. Having breakfast in the a.m. from your own kitchen will save you time & money.

Try St. James Place, Highlands Lodge, The Kiva, The Charter, Oxford Court,

or see if you can find something on VRBO.com.

The greatest thing about Beaver Creek is that it is a TOTAL pedestrian Village and the mountain is in a horseshoe shape, so the kids can't get lost.

Very intimate & friendly. Vail is only 10 minutes away if you'd like, go over there some evenings for even MORE selections in dining & activities.

Breck is a town, with streets, and traffic and parking issues. It is also higher in altitude and colder.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Coming from Mexico City, altitude shouldn't be an issue for your family; however, vailrealtor lists some good reasons to pick Beaver Creek over Breckenridge.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaver Creek or Breckenridge for New Year with small kids

Thank you.

Vailrealtor, I will look up those recommendations.

Given most condos are privately owned which is the best way to rent one? I am scared of getting one of the bad ones as ther seems to be a lot of variation in service and decor. Sorry first timer, question!,