We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

Which Beaver Creek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

Please don't fall about laughing at the naivety of this question. We're from Australia and we don't get a lot of snow.

We are planning a family ski trip to Beaver Creek in January (we do get a bit of snow here so we can all ski). My husband won't go anywhere without a car so the plan is to fly to Denver and hire a car to drive to BC. My question is - are we going to have to hire a car with special snow tyres or something? We would prefer not to have to hire a 4 wheel drive. We will hire from one of the big companies so presumably they have experience hiring to people who intend to drive to ski areas but a bit of on the ground knowledge would be very much appreciated.

Any useful info on ski equipment hire would be much appreciated. We're combining the trip with other things and so don't want to lug our ski gear half way across the world.

Many thanks in advance.

If there are any other Aussies out there - how do the Beaver Creek runs compare ability/wise with Thredbo and Perisher. The kids (twenty-somethings)are stunning skiers

but I'm a bit nervous about skiing in another country.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,857 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

You'll love Beaver Creek and have a much wider range of options of runs than you're accustomed. While I know your husband may want a car, you can't use it for anything practical while in Beaver Creek village so you'll just pay $20-30/night to have it sit there. If you're in the village, you can walk or free shuttle anywhere. If you're down at the bottom in Avon, you'll pay each day to take your car up. Just saying ...

In terms of well equipped cars, just go with the majors and you'll get outfitted properly in Denver during the winter. Do keep an eye on weather. While they keep the highway open very well, heavy snow can impact your travel timewise. Also do note that traffic up on weekend mornings is horrific. In all likelihood, you won't hit that but do note.

There are plenty of places to rent gear. One would be Beaver Creek Sports. Do you have a hotel yet?

Have fun.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

Consider flying in to the Eagle airport. There are some direct flights from several cities so you can bypass the Denver airport and traffic along Interstate 70. Plus there are some specials, such as a free same day lift ticket.

beavercreek.com/planyourtrip/getting-to-beav…

Sydney
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

Many thanks for your replies. David is still determined to hire a car. We have been to Beaver Creek previously in summer and found it to be just wonderful but this will be the first time we will be in the US in winter.

We don't have a hotel yet. We would like to stay in Beaver Creek itself preferrably ski in/ski out or at least walking distance to the slopes. We also want cooking facilities. We will have our two adult (twenty-something) sons with us. We have looked at the Highland Slopside and it looks pretty good but I would be very grateful for any on the ground knowledge about where to stay.

One advantage of flying to Denver rather than direct to Eagle is that we will stay overnight in Denver to aclimatise to the altitude. We live at sea level but the don't drive up on the weekend tip is very useful.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

I agree with previous poster> renting a car is a waste of money (IMO) Many places even charge you a daily rate just to have it sit in the parking garage. The free shuttles in the resort are so fantastic. I'd suggest taking CME (Colorado Mountain Express) up from Denver. Leave the driving to the experts and enjoy. The roads can be hairy, why add that stress to your holiday? Highlands Slopeside has great ski-in/out access. It would be a great choice. In the same area you can also check out Highlands Lodge, McCoy Peak Lodge, Highlands Westview.

5. Re: Car hire - do we need snow tires & other questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 19, 2012