We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike tour advice

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bike tour advice

We will be in the Beaver Creek area at the end of July. We are trying to dicide on which bike tour to do Glenwood Caynon or Vail pass? We like the down hill no effort as the ages of our group are 3-45 (13 in our group) with very few real bike riders. Give me some advice please.

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike tour advice

Are you going to drop off at the top and be picked up on the way down? Or are you riding the whole route out and back?

Vail pass, particularly going up from Vail (so heading east) is not an easy ride up by any means. The altitude and the grade of the climb both make it a challenge. If someone is not in decent shape and/or on a decent bike (the kind with a seat that is not the size of a large pizza) they may not really enjoy it much.

Glenwood Canyon is uphill heading east, but it's not that much of an incline and would be very manageable for most. You're also something like 4000 ft lower in elevation, which will have a noticeable impact.

Both are going to be probably 20-30 miles round trip. I think Glenwood trial is like 15 miles one way, I can't recall what Vail pass is (and it'll depend on where you start)

Both downhills are nice, though you have much better chance of injury on vail as you will get some VERY fast speed on parts, and there are a few sharp turns (particularly the one where the trail goes under I70)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike tour advice

We are definatly going to be dropped off at the top of either by a tour company with rented bikes. It sounds like the vail pass trip might be a little dangerous for kids so I think we may go with Glenwood. Thanks for the advice.

California
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike tour advice

auntkrusty- we will be looking to do the same (biking and rafting) the first week of August. 7 of us. (17-50). Please let us know how everything works out.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike tour advice

Glad to see that you are re-thinking the Vail Pass ride. I am not a big fan due to exactly what Laughing Lab said. It does get steep with some fairly tight turns. I just shake my head when I see folks that clearly have not been on a bike in years flying down the hill with coats tied around their waist, that are flapping dangerously close to the spokes, yelling wheeee!!! While swerving back and forth as cyclist do their best to avoid them.

On the other hand you could take the lift up at Vail mountain and ride the dirt rd down. I think it is more fun and certainly safer!

5. Re: Bike tour advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2011