We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaver Creek Ski Conditions in Early December?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Beaver Creek Ski Conditions in Early December?

We'll be in Colorado the first week of December for an event and want to drive up to Beaver Creek Park Hyatt for a week of skiing starting December 6 - but I'm concerned about the early season conditions. Anyone have an idea of what to expect that time of year? (% of runs/lifts that will be open?) Do you think we can get in some good skiing? Or would it be safer to go to Vail? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaver Creek Ski Conditions in Early December?

The % open will be somewhere between 10 and ~90% :-)

They rarely open everything before mid-december even in mega-snow years and it's likely even in horrible year that by then they will have made enough snow to open at least a few runs.

Overall it's really just dependent on the weather, which I won't try to predict. I'd watch the weather reports starting in October to see how the early season is looking. I think Beaver Creek is also a tad lower than many other places (particularly on the Arrowhead side) so they seem to be one of the areas that gets to 90+% a tad later than others. On the plus side though they are also much less crowded, so 60% open there would probably be preferable to 80% opened at say Breckenridge.

Mentioned in this post
Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaver Creek Ski Conditions in Early December?

You'll be fine. We are ALWAYS skiing by Thanksgiving. Even in the past two years when we have had very little early natural snow, we start making it mid-October. There's always snow up top. In a pinch you can take the bus over to Vail for a day or so (lift ticket good on both mountains) Between the two you'll get planty of runs in> may not be back bowls or 100% choice of terrain, but PLENTY> The crowds are also low then: its a great time to be here!

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
3. Re: Beaver Creek Ski Conditions in Early December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 28, 2010