We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

Which Beaver Creek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ofallon, il
3 posts
Save Topic
never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

I am trying to plan a trip for family of 4 with 2 teens and we have never skiied-or just maybe once. Where would be a good place over Thanksgiving for us to stay where we can try it but still do other things too-and what other things? totally open to city/hotel-just looking to relax and have fun with family.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,857 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

I suspect you want to take advantage of the holiday, but do know that Thanksgiving is pretty early for skiing. Yes, you will find skiing but runs will be limited and conditions will not likely be optimum.

Were you specifically looking at Beaver Creek? The village there is outstanding. There are plenty of restaurant and shopping opportunities, but not a ton of other activities at that time of year. Most any of the hotels in the village will put you close to the slopes. The Hyatt would be the premier venue located right at the base.

If you're in the market to shop around, other areas that would be potential early season destinations would be nearby Vail, Breckenridge and Keystone. Loveland and A-Basin are also alternatives, but there's no infrastructure at the area, only skiing.

As it gets close, do keep an eye on weather and snow conditions.

Have fun.

Colorado
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

I agree - we go skiing every year and have a condo in Keystone. While Keystone is always open at Thanksgiving, you might want to try and stay flexible on where you will go until you can see the weather - that time of year lodging isn't usually too expensive.

Net - I would recommend either pick a resortt that you would like to stay at and is central for driving purposes so you can go to the best snow, or if possible wait and book your actual room as you get closer.

As the previous poster says I'd look at Vail, Keystone, and Breckenridge as good bases.

ofallon, il
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

I am rethinking time a bit, the kids will be off longer at Christmas break but I suspect it will be much more crowded at that time. What kind of other things would/could we do if we don't ski? Mainly myself (50 yr old non athletic woman) and my 15 yr old daughter? Not really interested in shopping but are there other outdoor things? Where would be the best area for more diverse opportunites then just ski/snowboarding or for novices to 'dip their toe in" so to speak?

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

Avoid Christmas if this is a "to dipping" IT is very crowded and $$$$$$ at Christmas. Thanksgiving in Vail would be fine as we are ALWAYS open by then. Not 100%, but enough to get you up there. Check out Adventure Ridge on www.snow.com. Your teens will LOVE that. You and your daughter can ride the Gondola up to the top of the mountain> (free to foot traffic after 2:00) You might look into dog sledding, snowmobiling, a day at a spa, a day trip to Glenwwood to soak in the hot springs. Check VRBO.com for some reservation ideas too. We are here to answer more ?? if you need us!

ofallon, il
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

thanks so much for the info-will look at those websites. I am having HH tonight with a friend who as been many times to many places and getting her input also! Already excited and ready to buy some boots!

6. Re: never been skiing-coming thanksgiving 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 06, 2011