We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Air Balloons- Calistoga Balloons vs Napa Valley Balloons

Which Yountville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SCF
Connecticut
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hot Air Balloons- Calistoga Balloons vs Napa Valley Balloons

I am planning a trip to Napa and would like to do a hot air balloon ride. I am torn between Calistoga Balloons and Napa Valley Balloons. Both seem to have an equal number good and bad reviews. This is something I have wanted to do for a while and do not want it ruined by a negative experience. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Also the difference in location is not an issue.

Yountville...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot Air Balloons- Calistoga Balloons vs Napa Valley Balloons

Hi, SCF,

Here are the questions I would advise asking both balloon companies:

1) What is the max number of guests you allow per balloon?

2) Do you do double or multiple hops? Double or Multiple Hops happen when the balloon company has more guests booked than can fit in their basket. They'll split the group and one group will start in the balloon while the other "chase" in a tour van. The balloon will land at some point and the groups switch turns. Obviously, this cuts down on your "air time."

3) What is your weather policy? If the weather doesn't cooperate for a flight over the Napa Valley, most balloon companies have an alternate flight location in a neighboring picturesque agricultural area (though, often not vineyards). Most balloon companies allow you the right to cancel without penalty or go with the alternate flight location. You just want to be sure that you won't be forced to go with the alternate flight location if you don't want to (also note, these alternate flight locations can be an hour or farther drive away, which is important to note when making other plans).

One other recommendation: Book your hot air balloon flight for your first morning in Napa Valley. For one, if you're traveling from the East, the early wake-up call will be less painful (if you're still on East Coast time) and second, if the weather doesn't cooperate, you'll have an opportunity to reschedule.

Enjoy the rest of your planning!

Kellie Macway

Napa Valley Bike Tours & Sonoma Valley Bike Tours

2. Re: Hot Air Balloons- Calistoga Balloons vs Napa Valley Balloons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 11, 2012