We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

My flight time changed today and need to be at Burbank airport around 11.00AM. I see that Hollywood is quite close to it and considering booking 1 night at the USA Hostels group.

Any thoughts whether this is an OK location for reaching BUR airport via public transport? And as I'll travel from San Diego the night before, any thoughts on how to get from the Greyhound station in Los Angeles to Hollywood?

Too bad the Metrolink doesn't reach Hollywood :-).

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

From the Greyline station, you can take Metro bus 60 (www.metro.net) towards Sunset / Figueroa and exit at the 7th St. Metro Center station (7th St. and Flower St.) From there, you can take the subway towards North Hollywood (do not take the subway that goes to Wilshire / Western - the two subways share the same platform at the 7th St. Metro Center, so pay attention). The USA Hostel in Hollywood is about half way between the Hollywood / Vine and Hollywood / Highland Station - about a half mile walk from either. It might make the most sense to just exit at the Hollywood / Vine station, then start walking west on Hollywood Blvd. to Schrader Blvd. and walk south on Schrader to the hostel. In the morning you can take Metro Bus 222 towards Sun Valley from Hollywood Blvd. and Whitley Ave. (one block west of Schrader) to the Burbank Airport.

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

Thank you MachThree! That is helpful. Should I avoid doing this in the evening due to safety reasons? Or is that also possible?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

Personally, I would suggest to try and arrive via Greyhound during the daytime. The Greyhound station is in a questionable area (putting it kindly) and I would not want to be outside there at night.

Also, another thought would be to take Amtrak from San Diego to Union Station. Stay somewhere near Union Station - Miyako, Best Western Dragon Gate Inn or the Metro Plaza Hotel - all are relatively close to Union Station and all are relatively inexpensive (but possibly more than a hostel). In the morning, you can take Amtrak (www.amtrak.com) orthe Metrolink train (www.metrolinktrains.com) to the Burbank airport from Union Station.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

Mach's got the right idea. Skip Greyhound and Hollywood and take the trains to Burbank.

Jerry's Motel is about as cheap as you'll find in and around downtown L.A. Info at (link and SCROLL DOWN for reviews):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d1439222…

Alternatively, you could transfer from San Diego to Burbank directly. There's a 6:05 am departure from SF that lands at BUR at 9:27. Tickets are $37 and the walk from the train platform to the tiny terminal building at BUR will take less than 5 minutes.

Of course, you could make this transfer, the night before and stay near the airport. Last departure from SD is at 4:00 pm, arriving at BUR at 7:30. The Ramada Inn-Burbank Airport would be a good option:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32123-d76261-R…

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

Thank you HopSkinJump and Machthree again. Jerry's motel and Ramada (and several others around Union Station) are over $ 70,-. I actually considered this Ramada at BUR, until I read about activities at the hotel I do not want to be related with or even stay in close neighborhood of. Several hostels around the Hollywood area cost $ 20. Big difference. Greyhound is $ 19 compared to $ 49,- of Amtrak. Yes, Amtrak would be the best option; but have to stick to my budget :-).

.....The Greyhound station is in a questionable area (putting it kindly) and I would not want to be outside there at night. ......

> Questionable in terms of 50/50 to get out alive? I'll take the bus on a Sunday (so arriving at 3PM or so at LA) and then of course need to wait for Metro bus 60....

Level Contributor
301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

Any ideas? If Greyhound is OK, I'll book a ticket. If the location is dangerous, I'll take AMTRAK.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

No, the Greyhound station area is not 50-50 that you'll get out alive. It's in a basically low density industrial area that's on the far side of Skid Row (where your odds would worsen) from Downtown LA. I've been to Greyhound during the day--it's fine, if not exactly appealing. It seems like it would be pretty deserted and therefore more questionable on foot. The bus stop for line 60 is right across the street from the station, so maybe it would get enough activity to be alright. But I too would rather be elsewhere at night.

The train station, Union Station, is a beautiful, historic station. You don't have to worry about the area around it (fine, if a little jumbled) because you can take the Red Line subway from within Union Station to Hollywood/Vine. From Greyhound you'd have to transfer in Downtown LA, not a safety issue, just a time loss.

I looked up the fares for Thursday, two days from now, from San Diego to LA. The train is $36, the bus is $19 (you'll spend a dollar of that on your extra bus in LA!). To me, the train is worth the difference, both in the quality of the ride and in where you arrive in LA, but it's your call.

8. Re: Hollywood to Burbank via public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, June 20, 2013