We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

Which Walnut Creek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

Hi all,

Is this an easy trip for an anxious traveller? :) I need to travel from SFO Intl Airport to Walnut creek. Departing SFO at about 1pm in the weekday. Is it safe and secure to travel on. I'm haunted by a trip I took on the EL (elevated line in Chicago) in 1999 where I witnessed a mugging in broad daylight. Grrr... I'm sure BART is 100% safe, but just wanted to ask how long would it take, and anything I need to be aware of. Would be with a suitcase so will look like a total tourist most likely. :)

cheers

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

BART is very safe. Tons of people commute on it every day. I used to when I lived in Oakland. The worst thing that ever happened to me was when I was on Fremont line going to the Coliseum station to go to Oakland airport and a crazy guy sitting directly in the row in front of me snapped around and screamed "Stop staring at my head!" I moved to a seat as far as I could get from him.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

It's very easy and from SFO to Walnut Creek you won't have to transfer. SFO is the end of the line so the train will be empty when you get on. At the time of day you're traveling it won't get terribly crowded as it might at rush hour. Fare is $6.90 one way.

The BART station at the airport is at the International Terminal. If you're coming from an international flight it's very easy to get to. If you're coming off a domestic flight you'll take the airport's Air Train to the BART station. All is well signed.

www.flysfo.com for airport terminal map

www.bart.gov for BART system maps, schedules etc.

No worries!

dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

thanks for the feedback guys... Yeah I'll be coming into the International Terminal so it should be easy to get on alright, and then just sit tight till Walnut Creek. sounds very easy the way you describe it. Cheers

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

Glad we could help! Now it's my turn to ask the inevitable question: Are you staying in Walnut Creek in order to visit San Francisco? If not or if you are staying with family, great. If yes, then I recommend you re-book and stay in San Francisco proper. You'll have a much more authentic experience. :)

dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

:) lol. Good question indeed. I'm staying with my sister who lives all the way out there. Still, hoping we'll have some weekend time to spend the days in the city. Have been to SF once in 1998. Looking forward to walking the golden gate again.. Must watch a few dirty harry movies before I go too. :) love that city.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

Sounds good! Just checking. Don't forget to watch Bullitt while you're at it. :)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

The Dublin/Pleasanton line doesn't go to Ireland, BTW.

dublin
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

haha... thanks guys. what a friendly and jovial bunch in this forum. ;) cheers

Orange County, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

All I can say is: enjoy Walnut Creek! It is an incredible little mecca and simply wonderful. So much shopping and so little time! Have a good trip!

10. Re: BART from SFO Intl to Walnut Creek...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Walnut Creek