We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant choices

Which Tiburon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
malaysia
Level Contributor
704 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant choices

Any suggestion for restaurants that offer early bird menu or price fixe menu for a family of 5, next weekend in Tiburon, sausalito or Mill valley region? Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant choices

You might have better luck posting this on the Mill Valley and Sausalito forums, as well as Tiburon, which is not very active. AnnMV (I think that is her monikier) can probably help you.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant choices

There are lots of great restaurants in the Tiburon, Mill Valley and Sausalito area. I will give you a list that you can research online. You can check online to see if they have early bird or prix fixe menus. Most probably do not, but overall they are good local restaurants that are not as expensive as San Francisco, as many families live in these areas. Many of these you can make a reservation at on opentable.com. Here are a list of some of my favorites, or places I would bring an out of town guest. If you choose to eat at a place with a water view, be sure to eat when it is light - it gets dark at 5 pm.

Sausalito:

Poggio - very nice Italian food

Spinnaker - seafood with beautiful water views (keep the ordering of seafood simple for best results)

Sushi Ran - very good Japanese sushi and creative dishes

Le Garage - French bistro on the water

Fish - Very casual seafood restaurant, eat outdoors by water

Scoma - classic Italian seafood restaurant - ask to sit in front room on water

Tiburon:

Sam's Cafe - enjoy hamburgers and fries on the outdoor patio on the water - best during the day

Guaymas - Mexican food - I haven't eaten there in a long time, but it is a nice water view

Dynasty - Chinese food - I haven't eaten here in a long time either, but I have friends that like it.

Mill Valley:

Buckeye Roadhouse - really nice American food and atmosphere.

La Ginestra - casual, homemade Italian food and pizza. No reservations.

Balboa Cafe - famous for burgers in downtown Mill Valley

Bungalow 44 - American food in fun atmosphere

The Cantina - Inexpensive Mexican food - recently reopened - easy for a family

Harmony - Dim Sum and organic Chinese food.

A few more very popular Marin restaurants:

Insalatas - Mediterranean food in San Anselmo

Marinitas - Mexican food in San Anselmo

Picco - Italian inspired food and pizza in Larkspur

Hope this is helpful.

When you go out to Point Reyes, you may want to take Sir Francis Drake road out to the coast rather than Highway 1. It will be faster and you will be fresher for the day. If you have two days, take the second day to go to Muir Woods.

Have a great trip, and, while I am not a Private Message type of poster (I think everyone learns from everything), if you need quick help while in Marin, feel free to Private Message me (so I get the email) while on your trip.

Have a great time, and be sure to write trip reports!

AnnMV

malaysia
Level Contributor
704 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant choices

thank you so much Ann, i think we will try Fish and Roadhouse. I was hoping to visit Muirwood together with point reyes on the same day and use Hwy 1. We have two nights but arriving about noon on the first day si i thought of visiting Bonita Light house that afternoon with sausalito after that for dinner. The second day to visit Muirwood and point reyes. the third day after checking out to visit san francisco. Perhaps i should do Muiirwoon on the third day en route to SF then?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant choices

Point Bonita lighthouse (well, the tunnel which leads to it) is only open to visitors Sat, Sun, Mon 12:30-3:30.

There are also delays on some of the roads in the Marin Headlands as an erosion control project is done -- this is updated: projectheadlands.gov/closuresanddelaysroads.…

When you go to Muir Woods, especially if a weekend, go early -- it opens at 8AM and I would recommend getting there no later than 9AM. There are two small parking lots there and last time I went about a year ago when we left at about noon cars were parked along the side of the road for at least 2 miles.

And finally, I believe Fish is cash only.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant choices

Assuming you have good weather, I suggest the following:

1) On your first day, after arriving at about noon, have lunch in Marin and then go to Muir Woods (assume 1-2 hours at Muir Woods for a nice walk). After Muir Woods, you can drive out to Bonita Lighthouse, if you like, but note that it is currently closed to the public. (http://www.nps.gov/goga/pobo.htm ). If the weather is poor, skip that. After that, drive to Sausalito and walk around while it is still light for the views. Have dinner in Sausalito. If you go to Fish, you will need to drive to park after enjoying the town of Sausalito.

2) On your second day, take out a map and go to Point Reyes National Seashore by way of Sir Francis Drake Boulevard. The road is much faster and less slow and windy than taking Highway 1. Trust me on this. It will be at least an hour drive to the coast. Before you go to Point Reyes Seashore, go to the town of Point Reyes Station and have breakfast, and pick up lunch supplies. Check what day you are going and make sure that Cowgirl Creamery or whereever you want to go is open on that day. I like to visit Toby's Feed Barn, myself. Lots of times places are closed in the midweek. Then go up to Point Reyes. At Point Reyes, you can visit the lighthouse (check the hours) and Limantour Beach is very beautiful for a picnic lunch if it is not too cold and windy. Dress warmly. After Point Reyes, if you have the energy, you can drive back to Marin via Highway 1 down the coast (you will get to see Bolinas and Stinson Beach). Try to be back before it gets dark, as the roads are not well lit at night (5 pm) and the roads are slow and windy. Make your reservation NOW for the Buckeye Roadhouse in Mill Valley. It is very popular during the holidays.

3) Day 3 - Enjoy San Francisco

If Day 2 is rainy weather, go to San Francisco, and go to Point Reyes on Day 3. Hopefully one of these days will have good weather for you.

AnnMV

malaysia
Level Contributor
704 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant choices

Thank you so much. That are a lot of useful info, we will plan accordingly, taking into account of the weather. By the way, i think there is no ferry from Tiburon to Sausalito directly without going to SF?

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant choices

There is no need to go to Sausalito from Tiburon by ferry. It will be about a 15 min drive.

It is convenient to take the ferry into San Francisco from either Tiburon or Sausalito if you don't want a car in San Francisco.

AnnMV

8. Re: restaurant choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 12, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Tiburon