We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry schedules confuse me

Which Tiburon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
ferry schedules confuse me

We are thinking about staying in Tiburon for 2 nights and spending our one full day taking the ferry into San Francisco, seeing the sites then back at the end of the day. I am worried that the last ferry seems to leave Tiburon at 8:45. Then after that there is no ferry service until after 4 pm? If we miss the last ferry out of Tiberon (and with 2 small kids that could happen) are we stuck? We want to stay here to get away from some of the crowds, also we are traveling with a couple in an RV. Is there anywhere for them to camp in Tiberon? Any advice on any of this would be greatly appreciated. We will be staying Aug. 12 - 14, 2009.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

I see three questions in here. Let's take them one at a time:

1. Ferry schedule - Are you referring to http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com for the latest schedule? The ferry from Tiburon leaves throughout the day and travels either to the Ferry Building or Pier 41. There are regular departures 7:15am-7:45pm weekdays (with a 9:10pm trip Fridays) and 10:40am-8:05pm weekends. Departures in SF occur from the Ferry Building, Pier 41, or both, and also run throughout the day.

2. If the ferry isn't running for whatever reason (very unlikely!), you can take the bus. Golden Gate Transit Route 8 operates directly between Tiburon and SF but has a very limited schedule. The rest of the time, Route 19 operates from Tiburon to Marin City. Transfer to Routes 2, 10, 70, 80, or 92 at Marin City to get to SF. (Make sure to stand at the "southbound" bus stop when transferring.) You can get back the same way but in reverse. See http://www.goldengate.org for details.

Note: This is a great way to visit the Golden Gate Bridge. All the "Transbay" buses stop at the Toll Plaza (south end) in both directions. If you decide to walk back, you can use a bus transfer to continue your joruney. If you decide to walk all the way across, you can catch Routes 2, 10, or 92 from the bus stops just north of the Vista Point.

3. No, I am not aware of any RV or camping facilities in Tiburon. Tiburon is a very insular community and doesn't tend to like that sort of thing.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

Thank you for all the information. Sounds like we would be ok for traveling to/from Tiburon. Would there be another area you know of that our RV travel companions would be more welcome in? That of course would also give us a good route into pier 39. Thanks for all the help. We are trying to avoid the expensive parking and the ferry seems kinda cool but we are willing to explore other options. Thank you again.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

I know there is an RV park just off US 101 at Atherton Avenue in Novato, but I'm not sure where else to go in the North Bay. I think there is an RV park in Pacifica, too, but I don't know the details. I suggest asking on the San Francisco forum because somebody there will know for sure.

If you end up staying in Novato (or anywhere else in Marin County), you can use the Larkspur ferry instead. There is a large free parking lot there, but RV's won't fit. (Take the car!) The terminal is right off US 101 at Sir Francis Drake Blvd. See http://www.goldengateferry.org for details.

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

Thanks again Dav, lots of good information. Now I have to make some decisions...

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

Hi ArtyMama -

Welcome to Marin County. Tiburon is beautiful, upscale community at the end of a peninsula in the San Francisco Bay. The views are breathtaking. Unfortunately, it is a highly desirable place to live, and real estate is extremely expensive in this area. For that reason, (probably), there are no RV parks anywhere nearby. But, for that matter, there probably aren't any nice RV parks anywhere close to the beautiful areas near San Francisco. I think Tiburon would be a very nice way to escape the crowds, yet enjoy the SF Bay Area. It will have much better weather than SF - less fog and more sun.

The ferry schedule is based on daily commuters who work in SF. That is why you see the schedule in the mornings to SF and returning at the end of the day. It is a very pleasant ride.

If I were staying in Tiburon, I would definitely rent a car, so that you can explore the rest of the Marin County towns in the evenings - Sausalito, Mill Valley, Larkspur - which are full of great restaurants.

Have fun.

AnnMV

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

Thanks AnnMV for the ideas and information. We thought RV parking might be a problem here. We did book with The lodge in Tiburon. The RV'ers are going to stay further up north, they haven't decided where yet. We are on a 2 week driving trip all over California (kings canyon/Sequoia, Sacramento, Redding area, Eureka area, San Francisco) so we have our car. Trying to hit several state and national parks. I wish we had more time to explore but I know we will be back. I'm a native Californian and I love my state.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

The Lodge at Tiburon should be nice. Since you will be in Marin County, if you have a day, check out Muir Woods, and consider driving to Stinson Beach and up the coast to the Point Reyes National Seashore. Have lunch in Point Reyes Station - home of great organic farmers and cheese. Beautiful beaches in this area too.

Marin can be a fabulous vacation destination - you are a Californian, so you know how interesting the state is!

Have a great trip!

AnnMV

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

One more idea - since you are staying in Tiburon, consider taking the ferry over to Angel Island to explore the island in the middle of the bay. There was a large fire there last year, so double check about the amenities on the island. It is a great time to bike around the island for great views. The little boat ride is fun too for kids. Fun, casual places to eat in Tiburon include Sam's which is on the water (for burgers), and Rooney's for great local sandwiches and salads.

For families, dinner in Sausalito could include Fish, or Le Garage. In Mill Valley, La Ginestra for tasty Italian food, or Balboa Cafe for burgers.

AnnMV

Redondo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

Thanks again, more good stuff I will print out and take with us. I can't wait to get there!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry schedules confuse me

Angel Island would make for a nice little getaway, and it's a cinch to get to from Tiburon! See here: http://www.angelislandferry.com

Angel Island has rebounded surprisingly well after last year's fire. You can barely tell!

Get answers to your questions about Tiburon