We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

Glendale, California
3 posts
Save Topic
How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

Hi,

We're driving to Temecula this Saturday. How many wineries do you guys usually visit and/or tour in a day? Suggestions?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

4. Chuck.

Glendale, California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

Hi @blackbelt4dan. What's "Chuck"? Thanks.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

Hi, Kip; Chuck is my name. And my answer is 3 wineries. Chuck.

Temecula
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

I coordinate wine tours for a living and would agree (with a caveat) that three is a sufficient amount in one day.

When you are at the third winery you may experience "tasting fatigue", as for many it becomes difficult to discern the subtle nuances of the flavors and bouquets of the wines that may have been more obvious earlier in your tasting adventure.

Typical pour at a winery is .75 to one ounce of wine per tasting. 5 to 7 tastes per winery. If you do all the tastings available to you, around a bottle of wine will have been consumed.

Some optional ideas if you wish to visit more wineries;

You are not required (and it is not a slight to the winery) if you do not finish a taste and pour the remainder into a "dump bucket" on the tasting bar. Basically pace yourselves. If you don't enjoy a wine, don't finish it. Dump it.

The other "safe" way to try wines at a larger variety of wineries is to purchase one tasting and split it between the two of you. This way you can extend your sampling without the concern of overdoing the consumption.

Being careful of the amount consumed if you are driving is prudent and, especially in Temecula, intelligent. This area has a heavy law enforcement presence.

Enjoy your visit!

Glendale, California
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

Thank you so much @temeculawinetourguy! great info.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

Great advice from #4, that is what my late husband and I did when visiting wineries, Split the glass and do not have to drink the entire pour. Another thing we did, we mostly preferred reds, so we would often pass on all or most of the whites and just wait for the reds.

7. Re: How many wineries would be good to visit in a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, March 14, 2015