We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Downtown Temecula Hotel

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Downtown Temecula Hotel

Hi everyone, This is not a winery question :)

First let me say that my parents lived in Temecula in the mid to late 70's. And yes, you ain't in Temecula anymore based on that. The town has changed drastically.

I currently live in San Diego and I have some friends that live in Redlands. We'd like to get together at a half-way point. I would like to spend the night and they are not. They will drive back home. I'm just looking for a little break from taking care of my 88 yr old Mom. My Father is actually buried at the Temecula Public Cemetery. We visited him a few months back after having driven through Old Town (which I hadn't done in a few years) and noticed how it's changed.

The point is that I'm only really finding that the Palomar Inn and Rodeway Inn are right in Old Town. I'm looking to just have a place to stay that I can walk to cafe, restaurants, shops. And, yes, a place to have a couple of glasses of wine close to where I stay w/o driving. Dates are not set but it would be a mid-week stay from now until probably first week of July. I'm happy to do the research on pricing but was just wondering if there were other choices for a place to stay where I don't have to drive to eat, etc.

Thank you!

Edited: 12:15 am, June 13, 2012
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

There is an Embassy Suites just up the street from Old Town (same side of the freeway). I don't know if you could walk from there. I don't think so, just because there could be some traffic to deal with. I am just basing that on driving around a couple of years ago. (Maybe 2009.) Perhaps they have a shuttle. Besides Old Town, there are restaurants not far away up that should be in good range for a typical hotel shuttle. I don't know how the rooms are situated, but pretty sure one side faces the hills, so with a room request that is honored you would not have a freeway view. The building looks very nice when driving by. I think there is a fountain in front, or I may be remembering a building near it.

I didn't stay overnight in Temecula, just stopped by two or three times. One time I went up to Santa Rosa Nature Reserve off Clinton Keith Rd in Murrieta first, then down to Temeculat to the Pat and Oscar's On the Pond, which has closed and changed into a different restaurant, I hear. Love that pond!

Edited: 1:18 am, June 13, 2012
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

I got curious and did a bit of research. First, it turns out I was mistaken about the location. The hotel down the street from Old Town is the Hampton Inn, which gets good reviews but is going through some renovations currently (in particular the lobby was mentioned by a traveler who posted in May). The Hampton Inn is on Jefferson, which leads into Front Street where Old Town is, and just off of Rancho California Road. I looked at the satelite view, zoomed, on Google Maps. There is a gas station on the corner and, of course, you cross the busy intersection.

Embassy Suites is actually pretty much across from the Temecula Duck Pond, and is a huge complex. It is on Rancho California Rd. and looks like it borders Ynez. This is, indeed, the hotel with the big fountain on the grounds.

Looking at the list of hotel amenities, neither hotel seems to offer a shuttle. Embassy Suites has free parking. I didn't notice if Hampton Inn does, but they may. If none of you wish to drive (or walk across a busy intercetion, whichever the choice may be), perhaps you could use a taxi. It doesn't seem far to Front St. from the Embassy Suites. If ES appeals to you, email them to double check on the possibility of a shuttle. And, by the way, there is a Marie Callendar's next to it and, of course, the free breakfast and manager reception.

Hope this helps.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Hello and welcome back to Temecula! Palomar Inn is in Old Town whereas the Rodeway Inn is located at the very far end of Old Town as you exit to go to the freeway to San Diego.

On the other side of Old Town from the Roadway (i.e. at the beginning of Old Town) are two newer hotels - Springhill Suites and Hampton Inn. Springhill is the newest of these. Both are within a 5-10 minute walk to the beginning of Old Town.

If you want to visit your Dad again, the Rodeway would be the closest and you could walk to the cemetery on C street in about 10-15 minutes tops.

The Embassy Suites is one of the oldest hotels in the area. It is across the freeway from Old Town and you could walk to Old Town in about 5-10 minutes. The nice thing about the Embassy Suites is that its closer to a lot more budget friendly restaurants (Black Angus, Chili's, Claim Jumper, Pat and Oscars [it re-opened a week after it closed with the original owners], Marie Calendar's, Daphne's Greek Cuisine, a vietnamese restaurant, Round Table Pizza and one of my favorites - Scarcella's. Also, Texas Loosey's. There's an Ultra Star Theater (in the same shopping center as Scarcella's, Chilis, Black Angus) if you want to take in a movie.

You can also walk to all of these restaurants/movie house if you stay at Springhill or Hampton - it would be about a 10-15 walk tops.

Visiting mid-week is a very good idea, especially in summer. Crowds are very intense during the weekends. However, keep in mind that July 4 is on a Wednesday this year and the city has a parade through town as well as the fireworks from the Ronald Regan Sports Park (i.e. formally known as CRC) at the corner of Margarita and Rancho Vista.

Hope you have a wonderful and relaxing time!

Edited: 10:15 am, June 13, 2012
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Hi Redlands - nice to see you here. I appreciate your information. When my parents lived in Temecula that duck pond was about the only attraction ! I remember there was a little grocery store there and a couple of shops. That was about it. I think Old Town had one diner :)

I appreciate the time you took looking into this. I had a conversation last night with my friend and posted after and hadn't done much research. So thanks! I'd prefer to be on the side of the freeway as Old Town but will look at the Embassy Suites and taking a taxi. I think I recall the Hampton Inn now.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Hi Meadowlark - thanks, OK, now I recall where the Rodeway Inn is with your description of it being at the far end before getting back on the freeway.

I'll look into the Springhill Suites and Hampton Inn. As I'm reading these replies it's sort of coming back to me - seeing them - when we drove through about 3 or 4 months ago.

Thanks for the list of restaurants near the Embassy. To be honest the only ones I'd be interested in would be Marie Callendar's for a piece of pie (I don't have one near me in Downtown SD and do crave their pie) and possibly Scarcella's. Other than that I'd prefer whatever is in Old Town. Not a big eater so could do with eating somewhere for appetizers or light bites and some wine. It seemed to me there were a lot of cafes, etc. when we drove through. I only recall a diner when my parents lived there :)

Thanks for the reminder about July 4. I'll start looking into what's available on what dates and what the prices are. If this doesn't work out she said maybe there's another place we can meet but to be honest, other than Temecula I can't think of another place with any 'charm'. I know there are hotels along some of those mega malls just off the freeway but there's not a lot of charm in that.

RE: the cemetery, I realized on our last visit just how close it was to Old Town once you cross over the bridge.

Thanks for your help!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Hi Meadowlark,

I am so happy to hear the Pat and Oscar's is back in Temecula. I am a big fan of their food, service, and prices and was sad to hear that the best location was closing. I visit the one in San Bernardino often, which is also located on a pond but no comparison at all to the Temecula Duck Pond in size and uniqueness. I love the view from the large patio at the Temecula location and now am recalling visions of the fountain of the Embassy Suites beyond and the hills. The first time I ate there a squirell came up to visit my table! (In San Bernardino there are some large ducks that come right up to the patio tables, but that's it.) I remember how I met people in line who were stopping in on their drive and who grew up there, wanting to show the town to their kids. Now, I want to grab a friend and take a drive down to Temecula!

Edited: 3:50 pm, June 13, 2012
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Hi elizzie,

"If this doesn't work out she said maybe there's another place we can meet" ~ how about you meet in Redlands then head on back to Temecula the next day! ; ) You could go to a great summer concert at the Redlands Bowl on a Tuesday, including a good old fashioned sing along prior to the concert. Wine and picnic food are welcome! But, then again, it is may be more of a treat for your friend to get out of town and go to Temecula.

Have a good time and have a glass for me!

Edited: 4:00 pm, June 13, 2012
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Redlands - we talked about my just going to her house and staying there. Frankly, I don't want to drive for 2 hrs. It's also been awhile since I've been able to get away because of my Mom and am looking forward to a mini vacation in a hotel for a night maybe two.

I'd like to stay somewhere where I can just walk out the door and have a coffee in the a.m. type of place. Someplace close by to walk and have dinner.

I was looking at the Palomar and it gets mixed reviews. Most of the complaints are from people that were there on the weekend and the noise. I'll be there mid week so I don't think that's a problem for me. But it is old and looks pretty bare bones.

The Hampton Inn looks fine but I wouldn't want to walk back at night and don't know if a taxi would take me such a short distance.

Not keen on Motel 6 but it is a good location....

Edited: 5:07 pm, June 13, 2012
Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

Yes - the Palomar can be a bit crazy on the weekends - as Old Town can be very very loud at night! The Hampton Inn should fit you well. The Edge is very close to Palomar Inn and most of the noise generates from there. You can find out more about Edge here: http://www.edgelounge.com. I do know that the mid-20s-early 30s crowd hangs out there during the week - I believe Wednesdays is their day of choice.

As to places to eat - the Edge gets mixed reviews. I think that the cafe you are remembering is the Swing Inn Cafe - one of our friends refers to it as a 'heart attack on a platter' kind of place - but it is very popular with the locals and visitors alike.

If you want a quiet, relaxed place for dinner where you can actually hear yourself think - I suggest Scarcella's. Its in the Tower Plaza across the freeway. It is a favorite of mine. Otherwise, anything down in Old Town is going to be a bit rambunctious regardless of the day because this is summer. I hear that there is a Greek place down towards the center of Old Town - from what I've heard, its pretty good.

The city did put in a DG type of walkway along the creekside of Front Street. You can use that to walk back to the Hampton if you choose. You'll cross the street at Old Town/Jefferson and Rancho California Road. The walkway will take you from Old Town to that intersection without having to cross through parking lots.

2 posts
10. Re: Downtown Temecula Hotel

General clarification from Meadowlark's post:

The Rodeway Inn (28718 Old Town Front Street) is located at the south archway in Old Town Temecula.

The Ramada Inn (28980 Old Town Front Street) is near the entrance to Interstate 15 at Highway 79 South.