We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery Itinerary (comments please)

Which Temecula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
812 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Winery Itinerary (comments please)

This is what I have planned so far. Is this being overly ambitious on Monday? Please keep in mind I will be arriving in Temecula about 3 pm Monday and I won't get out of class until 4:30 Tues, Wed & Thur. Are there other wineries that I should see instead of what I have planned?

Monday -

Wilson Creek

Callaway

Thornton

Tuesday - Southcoast

Wednesday - Keyway

Thursday - Ponte (maybe. their website said they are only open until 5pm)

A couple of other questions:

Wilson Creek: is the port wine tasting in the chocolate cup included in the wine tasting or is it extra (if extra, is it worth it)?

If I can only fit two wineries in on Monday, should I skip Callaway or Thornton?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

I loooove the port in the chocolate cup.

My husband says he remembers it costing something extra but not a lot.

I don't have any favorite names to give you,but in general we liketo stick to the smaller operations and both Callaway and Thornton are some of the "big boys".

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

You might try this website for more information concerning the local wineries: www.temeculawines.org/. There's better wineries than the bigger names and they are more intimate in their approach to the tasting experience. Some require appointments which could help with your time constraints. South Coast and Ponte are literally next to each other and you can walk from one to the other in 5 minutes or less. In my opinion, Thornton has nicer facilities than Callaway. Also, depending on where your class is, keep in mind that traveling anywhere in Temecula at 4:30 p.m. can be a real challenge. Unless your classes are in the heart of wine country, expect at least a 20 minute commute if you are comming from the 15 and Rancho California interchange. Traffic can be a bit tedious.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
812 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

Thanks for the tips. My class is right there in the business park. I had not thought about there being any traffic. Trying to make appointments is a good idea. I'll take a look at the website link you provided.

Riffsmom, I am not sure who told me about the port/chocolate cup, but I know I don't want to miss that!

Temecula, California
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

Maurice Carrie Winery has a great restaurant THE PLANTATION HOUSE.

Temecula, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

My tips would be to call in advance and speak to someone in person to find out about hours of operation on weekdays. Everyone is so friendly so I'm sure you'll get the full info. I highly recommend the restaurant at Ponte. South Coast is award-winning and should not be cut from your list. I don't see Stuart on your list and they are excellent.

Also if you have time I highly suggest a visit to the Temecula Olive Oil Co. in Old Town. They have a beautiful tasting room and in addition to olive oils, they have vinegars, honeys, spreads, dips, chocolates, and all kinds of other goodies, most of which are locally produced. They can package them to ship home or to friends and the prices are surprsingly reasonable. I believe they're only open until 5:30 or 6 p.m. so check their hours but it is definitely worth a trip.

johnkelliher
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

Keep in mind most wineries close the tasting rooms by 5pm (South Coast has been an exception lately). Don't short-change yourself... plan a full day and get a DD. There are several good and inexpensive wine tour operators who offer daily tours. Check out the Winegrower's Association list of tour companies at www.temeculawines.com/transportation2.html , and the rest of their site for a comprehansive listing of wineries.

7. Re: Winery Itinerary (comments please)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 01, 2009