We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tubing the Truckee River

Chico, Ca
1 post
Save Topic
Tubing the Truckee River

My family and I would like to tube the truckee river. The rental companies want $30 a person but I heard you can tube it on your own. Does anyone know what type of tube you're supposed to have and where you can put it in?

los altos
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tubing the Truckee River

People use anything that floats to go down the river, inner tubes , inflatable kayaks, inflatable rafts, canoes, real kayaks, etc. You can buy inflatable rafts, kayaks at the local drug stores: CVS in Truckee, the Save On in Truckee or Tahoe City. If you are only doing this once, you'll find the cost of the raft to be about the same as the raft companies' prices. If you already have something, bring it and it will be much cheaper.

The private rafters generally put in from the park on the south side of the river: cross the river at Fanny Bridge, pass the BridgeTender restaurant, the park will be on your right. You can drive back in to a parking lot. There is a cement launch ramp by the bicycle/pedestrian bridge that crosses the Truckee.

You will want to take out before you get to River Ranch where the commercial rafts take out. The have a dock set up and there isn't room for any one else. You miss the last "big" (for the Truckee in this area) rapids.

Returning is the last challenge. You will need to set up a shuttle. The commercial companies have buses that run back and forth but they won't let you on. There is no public transit. I guess you could call a cab but that would be expensive. It's about 3 miles and there is a bike path right along the river. You could walk, probably take an hour??

California
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tubing the Truckee River

Here is some more information about river tubing on the Truckee River and other nearby rivers.

River Tubing Techniques & Safety Skills - BRT Insights.

…blogspot.com/2009/08/river-tubing-skills-te…

Truckee River Whitewater Guide - BRT Insights.

…blogspot.com/2007/08/truckee-river-runs-in-…

3. Re: Tubing the Truckee River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2010