We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

There seem to be so many great restaurants in Sonoma, and unfortunately I won't have time to try them all! We'll only be there 2 nights, so I need 2 restaurants in Sonoma for dinner, 1 restaurant in Sonoma (or Glen Ellen or Kenwood) for lunch, and then we'll do a picnic lunch one day.

For dinner, I've narrowed it down to Cafe La Haye, Harvest Moon Cafe, The Girl and The Fig, The Swiss Hotel, and possibly Della Santina's. If you had two pick only 2 of these, which 2 and why? I'm travelling with my mom, so we obviously don't need a romantic atmosphere. Cafe La Haye looks and sounds great, but I've also read that it's noisy and crowded....is it really that bad? Also, it seems like Harvest Moon Cafe is hight recommended, but I couldn't find a website or menu anywhere. What type of food do they have, and what else can you tell me about it?

For lunch, it's either the Wolf House Restaurant, Glen Ellen Inn, or The Girl and The Fig (or The Fig Cafe) if we don't eat dinner there. Any thoughts?

For the picnic lunch, someone recommended the Basque Bakery which sounded really good.

One more thing, my weakness is dessert! So where would you say has the best dessert in town? If it's not a restaurant we're going to for dinner, maybe we could stop by after dinner just for dessert!

Thanks so much!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

I don't believe that Harvest Moon has a Website. I know the menu changes on a nitely basis. It is a GREAT place to go for dinner and combines what I feel are the very best aspects of the Sonoma dining experience: creative cuisine using fresh, local products; casual/comfortable yet very special ambience--and in a historic bldg. as well! They have a couple of inside dining areas, plus a patio. For a review by a local dining out columnist, go to:

…pressdemocrat.com/foodwine/… Don't forgo Cafe La Haye due to decibal levels--just dine early, shortly after they open and the diners/din will be so much less. I love all 3 of the Glen Ellen restaurants you mentioned (plus a couple more: Saffron and Jack's Bistro). But for lunch I believe I'd choose Wolf House. They alway seem to have a nice eclectic menu selection and I also enjoy the light, airy feeling of their dining area. It a very comfortable place to relax, particularly in the midst of a busy day. For picnic and gourmet deli items, I don't think that Cafe Citti along Hwy. 12 in the Kenwood area or the Fig Pantry on E. Napa in Sonoma can be beat.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

Hmm...tough choices. Cafe La Haye really isn't that noisy, it's just their dining room is rather small. It is bi-level and very pretty. the girl and the fig dining room is more spacious and they have outstanding food there.

We had some really good dessert at the El Dorado Kitchen at the Hotel El Dorado. If you really want to be wowed, you may consider a dinner at the General's Daughter, everything we had was outstanding there. It is in a cool Victorian home.

Haven't tried Harvest Moon Cafe, maybe next spring! :)

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

BTW, I just read the review Forestvillian gave a link too, I have put it on our Sonoma Restaurant list. Chocolate pot de creme is a favorite dessert at our house. We found a place in Cannon Beach, OR where we got hooked on it last summer. :)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

Ok, so I won't count Cafe La Haye out. And I looked at the link for Harvest Moon Cafe, and it sounds great! So should those be my two restaurants for dinner? They're not too similar, are they? I do hate missing out on the girl and the fig since I've read so many great things about it. I just can't decide!

I would still consider Della Santina's because I love Italian food. Although it is easier to get good Italian food other places also. And maybe we could head to the Swiss Hotel after dinner for a nightcap if we feel like it just to check the place out.

Syrahgirl, I love pots de creme too! It's funny because I made them about 2 weeks ago, and it had been quite a while since I'd made them.

For lunch, we probably will do the Wolf House. Will it be necessary to have a reservation? We'll be there Friday afternoon.

By the way, Forestvillian. We're actually booked to stay at The Cooperage Inn. The first few places I checked were booked, and I stumbled upon the Cooperage. I googled reviews on it and came across a post where you recommended it. It looks cute, and we're looking forward to the trip!

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

Normally, you should be OK w/o reserv's for Fri. lunch at the Wolf House. But since it will depend upon any special events that may be going on when you're in the Sonoma Valley, once you arrive give them a call just to make sure. It IS a very difficult decision to choose bet. girl and the fig and Cafe La Haye. All you can do is read the various reviews of each and take a look at the sample menus to derive whether or not they offer the types of dishes and preparation styles that you enjoy. I might add that my husband is a real fan of desserts and he's never been disappointed with any at the girl and the fig--and believe me, he orders a dessert every time we dine there! You needn't worry that any of the restaurants will be too similar as they all have their own very unique signatures.

That's great that you're staying at the Cooperage! I think you're really going to enjoy it, esp. the many creative touches and the artwork. It's pretty much a hidden gem in Sonoma, and word gets out by way of personal recommendations. Perhaps after your stay, you can write a review.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

My husband makes a really awesome pot de creme, also! the girl and the fig has great desserts, I love their Lavender-Infused Creme Brulee. Have fun! :)

7. Re: Sonoma Restaurant Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 24, 2009