We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma Nascar 2014

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
224 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sonoma Nascar 2014

Hi we plan to fly or drive into SFO and go to the Sonoma Nascar 2014.

Can anyone give me the Dos and Donts regarding attending, accommodation, hire cars etc.

We went to the Moto GP in Laguna Seca a few years back and someone told us about how to get into the Ducati tent....I really appreciated this as it made the visit so much nicer!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma Nascar 2014

Sears Point (the old name) is a spectacular road track, through low hills... Much like Laguna Seca...

I have been to a bunch of races there, but NASCAR seems to have its own pit/access rules... I understand F1, Indy Cars, and most sports car series (I have been a member of the SCCA and volunteered and had a god pass at San Jose one year) but NASCAR is different... If you can get a Goodyear tire dealer or Competing car brand dealer as a friend it is easier... likely even possible from Australia... Its about connections...

It is an easy track to walk... With generally limited grandstand seating (but that changes....)

Parking isn't bad but getting out afterward is a pain... staying towards Sonoma is better than staying towards the City (aka San Francisco)... Some motels may offer a shuttle via a tour company. As someone with local knowledge I once re-arraigned fences to get out... creating a new exit... that was at the second year NASCAR was at the track...

Even without "inside connections" with a purchased pit pass you will have a wonderful time... just allow a lot of time to get away from the track afterwards...

Randy

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma Nascar 2014

NASCAR has gotten into packages at their races, which include special access. What I would do is sign up for e-mails from NASCAR regarding the Sonoma track (and also the track) to see what is offered. I have had some great access at the Fontana Track.

nascar.com/en_us/ajax/dynamic/myNASCAR.html…

http://www.racesonoma.com/fanguide/social/

But by signing up, you might get an invite (of course for a fee) to attend a press conference, or getting a better access pit pass, etc.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma Nascar 2014

Ironic, there just was a 4.5 Earthquake centered in Fontana (Auto Club Speedway) shortly after I posted the info.... No major damage has been reported.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,026 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonoma Nascar 2014

We are here to help visitors and not confuse them so I don't get the irony about a shake in Fontana which is in southern CA and miles and miles and miles (around 500) from Sonoma. How does this help answer the OPs question about where to stay and about car rentals.

It would be as if a question was asked about the Sunshine Coast and a poster is talking about something in Melbourne ...

let me get to the part of the OPs questions which were not addressed . The speedway is in lovely Sonoma county which is known for its wines and its lovely hotels and B&Bs so if you want to stay in downtown Sonoma there are many choices but do book early.

As far as renting a car, yes you need one and you can rent one from SFO or from SF. There is a top question in the San Francisco forum top questions about car rentals . I would urge you to read that question

5. Re: Sonoma Nascar 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 17, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Sonoma