We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

I'm planning a trip for November and can't decide on the location. I'm debating between Petaluma and Santa Rosa. Petaluma is closer to the southern wineries in Sonoma, but Santa Rosa is closer to the northern wineries by Healdsburg. Is 101 the primary driving route or can you also use the Sonoma Hwy 12? Is it worthwhile to visit both northern and southern wineries? Does either location have better restaurants or nearby attractions? Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

Hwy 101 is a north south major highway which covers much of the state. Santa Rosa and Petaluma are only 15 miles apart. As you say, Santa Rosa is that much closer to the northern county wineries. It would make more sense to stay in Healdsburg to visit them, including the Alexander and Dry Creek Valleys.

To visit the southern ones you would want to stay in the Sonoma Valley, which is on Hwy 12, There are many wineries in the Valley anchored by the historic town of Sonoma. From there it is a short drive to the Napa Valley and its many wineries.

I, personally, would not stay in either city - Petaluma or Santa Rosa - to visit wineries, but nearer to where the vineyards are.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to find a hotel+car for under $1000 Wed-Sun, but am not having much luck close to Sonoma. I've been searching various vacation websites (Delta, Travelocity, etc.) but can't find too much. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

Have you checked the Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn? Close to wineries and the square and restaurants. :).

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

If you have to choose between Petaluma and Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa will be closer to more wineries. The Russian River AVA is just to the west and the Sonoma Valley is just to the east. Dry Creek and Alexander Valleys are just 20 minutes north and the town of Sonoma is about 35 minutes away if no traffic.

By the way, both Petaluma and Santa Rosa are great beer towns if your tastes go in that direction.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

I will have to check out the Best Western in Sonoma Valley. Yes, my husband loves beer so it's good to know they are great beer towns!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
5,271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

Another good area to check is the Railroad Square area in Santa Rosa.

Hotel Del Rose is a very nice place to stay - and you can walk to several restaurants, coffee shops and so forth.

http://hotellarose.com/

http://railroadsquare.net/

Also, check best Western Healdsburg as well.

http://www.drycreekinn.com/

You can also check the others listed below but wanted to give you a couple of other ideas.

and if all else fails, Rohnert Park Best Western has breakfast, a great pool, good location by highway 101, comfortable beds, couch in room; parking by room; and easy access to the freeway. Easy walk to family friendly and budget friendly restaurants

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

Note: It all depends how much time you plan to stay at the room - we often go out for the day, have dinner, and then just use the room for sleeping and preparing for another great day.

have fun.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

If the Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn is full or too expensive, just about half a mile away look at El Pueblo Inn. It is charming, built among gardens, has a nice pool, and free breakfast with waffles.

The town of Sonoma is historic and charming and built around an 11 acre Plaza in the days of Mexican rule. It is at the south end of the 18 mile long stretch of Sonoma Valley which has many vineyards. When in the wine country I much prefer to be in a smaller venue than either Petaluma or Santa Rosa, which is the county seat of Sonoma County.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

Advice in another vein... Check the Sonoma Raceway schedule. During event weekends there, lodging rates in Sonoma, Napa, Marin and Solano counties skyrocket, and availability can be very difficult at those times.

Edited: 12:02 am, September 07, 2013
9. Re: Petaluma vs. Santa Rosa Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 09, 2014