We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name of resto in Sonoma town

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Topic
Name of resto in Sonoma town

It was (is) on the town square and it had an outdoor grill and outdoor seating and I believe it was either attached or beside a deli that had a souvenir section (refrigerator magnets, corkscrews etc..) , anyone know where I might be thinking of ?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
633 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

Most likely you are thinking of The Cheese Factory.

Its a large establishment on the same side of the Plaza as the barracks, inside is a popular deli area along with a wine shop, souvenirs and the outdoor grill area is to the right as you look at the building.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

Sounds like it might be it another thing I remember is that there is a large parking lot behind it where tour busses park

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

Could it be the patio behind the restaurant in the Swiss Hotel? Next door to the Cheese Factory?

Actually, I think you are talking about the grill area on the right of the Cheese Factory, as mentioned above.

(It is not a "large establishment" by the way. It actually used to be the local small post office and when it was built in a "modern" style in the middle of all of the historic buildings, there was a huge local outcry).

There is a large parking lot behind both of these, which are adjacent, near the Veteran's Hall, and the little Depot Museum, but not accessible from Spain Street, where these are located.

(Didn't know about the tour buses. I grew up there. Thankfully we didn't have tour buses in that long ago era.

;~)

Edited: 12:04 am, August 10, 2013
vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

The patio wasn't really open per se (kind of shrouded with trees/shrubbery if memory serves me ) and it was to the right side looking from outside , pretty sure patio wasn't accesable from the street , had to enter from the store , and as for the parking lot , unfortunately yes there were a few other busses (as well as ours) parked there

Edited: 12:31 am, August 10, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

I am pretty sure you are talking about the Cheese Factory. No other place on the Plaza has a bus parking lot in back.

Edited: 12:43 am, August 10, 2013
vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

Guess that must be it then thanks, especially if the resto /grill place is adjoined to the store

Edited: 12:49 am, August 10, 2013
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
633 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

It is, and they grill a mean burger! ;)

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

I did not partake but must admit it did smell pretty darn good

Edited: 4:34 pm, August 10, 2013
vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

Thanks all am convinced thats it, funny how this all came up, was watching Diners, Drive inns and Dives last night and they had another place (Sunflower cafe) also with an outdoor grill and last time I saw the episode I thoughr that was the place but after seeing again last night thought the inside of the restaurant did not seem familiar at all, hence the question....

Edited: 5:02 pm, August 10, 2013
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Name of resto in Sonoma town

Definitely the cheese factory. They grill outside, it's attached to deli and has public parking lot behind it.