We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Sonoma

What is the best way to get to Sonoma from SFO? I'd rather not rent a car, but will if necessary. Hoping there is a shuttle?? We are staying at the BW in Sonoma.

Thanks for any and all help

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma

Not much in the way of options. There is a bus from SFO to Sonoma county but it doesn't go to Sonoma town. Besides which, once you get to Sonoma, how are you planning on getting around?

Having a car is the best way to get around the county.

Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought if needed we could rent a car in Sonoma? Is traffic doable from SFO to Sonoma or do I need to pack extra patience and luck :) ?

Thanks again

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma

The best and fastest way to get from SFO to Sonoma is to rent a car. It's about an hour drive and not difficult. You do have to get through San Francisco but it's not a difficult drive.

<<I thought if needed we could rent a car in Sonoma?>>

You defintely will need a car in Sonoma. Yes, there are restaurants and some tasting rooms in the town of Sonoma but you won't get the true wine country (emphasis on "country") experience without getting out and around to the wineries.

Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sonoma

Thank you. I do have one booked... just in case we needed it!

The plan was to go on a couple wine tours - neither of us want to drink/drive - would much rather not be worried about that!

Very much appreciate the comments/help.

5. Re: Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, March 11, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sonoma

While you are there, do drive up the Sonoma Valley. This time of year, the hills turn emerald green and the vines are beginning to come out. It is lovely. One tour I recommend is the tractor/tram tour of the biodynamic, sustainable vineyards at the Benziger Family winery in Glen Ellen. The site is beautiful and the tour very informative. Just up the road from there is Jack London State Park, which was his "Beauty Ranch". In addition to having some of his memorabilia there are nice trails on the property, if you are up for a little hiking.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sonoma

You will enjoyed the BW there in Sonoma, they have a nice heated pool and jacuzzi. Cafe La Haye girl and the fig are two of our favorite restaurants in Sonoma. Have fun! :)

Cincinnati, Ohio...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sonoma

Puter--could you provide some in site in taking highway 1 from San Fran to Sonoma? And any wineries we should stop at e route to the Sonoma Square (that's where we are staying)

thanks

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,029 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sonoma

Katie, you might want to start your own topic, as replies will be going to the Original Poster of this thread, who has since come and gone.

But Highway 1 doesn't go to Sonoma... it goes north, but you have to turn inland with an hour or more drive to the town of Sonoma from the coast (depending on where you turn).

10. Re: Sonoma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 15, 2014