We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma County Airport

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sonoma County Airport

Hello group

Looking for some current information regarding the pros and cons of flying into Santa Rosa airport as opposed to SFO or OAK. Will be staying in Sonoma and will be renting a car and flying with Alaska. Seems like a no-brainer to do this but old information talks about lack of infrastructure and poor scanning equipment. Any updates?

Thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma County Airport

If you can get a competetive fare and a good rental car rate I would go with Sonoma County. All airports must meet FAA regulations for security.

Of course, this airport will not have all the amenities of SFO but you won't have to drive an hour between there and your final destination either. Nor walk miles through concourses or get on a train to find your rental car.

For a nonstop flight I believe you'll have to get to Seattle.

-------------------

Besides who doesn't love an airport whose logo is Snoopy, as the WWI flying ace, doing battle against the Red Baron!

Edited: 4:21 pm, March 10, 2013
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma County Airport

My brother and his family fly in and out of this airport frequently. The love it for the closeness to wine country (they live in Healdsburg.).

The only thing they do not like about the airport is the small # of flights available in and out of the airport - i.e. they cannot always find a flight when they want it. In that case, they fly instead in/out of Oakland Airport.

so the 2 questions for you to decide are:

1) Is the flight at the times you want them?

2) Is the flight equal of better cost of flying in/out of one of the San Francisco Bay area airports such as SFO or Oakland?

Other then that they love it and feel just as secure flying in and of Sonoma County Airport.

Edited: 4:22 pm, March 10, 2013
Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sonoma County Airport

Perfect. Great info. Booked with Alaska into STS.

4. Re: Sonoma County Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 12, 2014