We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic, mostly flat bike loop?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic, mostly flat bike loop?

I'm bringing my own bike to Sonoma for a weekend; I'm looking for a nice, mostly flat, 10-15 mile loop. I'm considering Sonoma bike trail -> Arnold Road -> Glen Ellen, then back to Sonoma via Sonoma Hwy. Is this a safe loop with shoulders on the roads? Any other recommendations? (Anywhere in the valley is fine, we're staying in Santa Rosa.)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic, mostly flat bike loop?

I am not much of a biker, but these roads are safe and flat and have shoulders. There are published bike routes in the Valley, but I don't know them. I think by "Sonoma Highway" you mean Hwy 12 between Sonoma and Santa Rosa. Traffic? You might contact the Sonoma Valley Visitors Bureau...sonomavalley.com....for information.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic, mostly flat bike loop?

Here's a site that may be helpful to you: www.sctransit.com/bikesafe/maps.htm. Many stretches of rural roads around the County have very limited shoulders, and Hwy. 12 is not the safest place to ride (in my opinion) due to the heavy traffic. Santa Rosa Cycling Club (www.srcc.com) should be able to offer more specific info. and recommended cycling areas that will fit your criteria.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic, mostly flat bike loop?

Thanks to you both! Looking forward to the trip!