We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Sonoma

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Sonoma

Hi everyone

My wife and I are spending a few days in SF after a couple of weeks in AK. We live near some great wine areas (Barossa Valley etc) and love drinking the stuff. We want to do a trip up to Sonoma and sample some of your great wines, have lunch etc while we're in SF, but don't want to drive ourselves nor get a bus tour. Got any recommendations for a limo service and/or driver? What sort of cost would we expect? How long is the drive from SF? We're staying near Union Square.

We have a preference for reds (we normally drink shiraz, but appreciate it's not big in the States) and to try new styles and varieties. We are quite conversant with wine tasting, wine making etc. Over here wine tasting is normally free, but I believe you pay for this. What's the protocol for your tastings? We'd probably get to 3 or 4 wineries (have done more in the past) in the day to stay reasonably couth. All input appreciated!

Thanks

SO

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Sonoma

Your drive from downtown SF to Sonoma is going to take a minimum of 1 1/4 hours, depending on the time of day. I would make a reasonably early start. Sorry, can't help you with prices/drivers etc. etc.

Unfortunately, many wineries of late do charge for tastings. The protocol is pretty simple; there will be a tasting fee for "regular" wines and an additional fee for reserves etc.. Many reserves are NOT available for tasting, unless the staff are feeling particularly kind (and have something open).

You might like to try the Mourvedre etc. at Cline (great place) and the Zinfandels at Ravenswood. Sitting on the terrace at Gloria Ferrer drinking methode champenoise is also a treat - although you have enough of that in Barossa, maybe. Gundlach-Bundschu and Buena Vista have both good buildings and big Cabernets (amongst many other varietals).

Best R