We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Wine Country trip - where do I start?

Chicago, IL
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Wine Country trip - where do I start?

My husband and I will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary in wine country. Thus far, we've booked our flights in and out of SFO. We will arrive mid-morning on 11/2, and depart 6:00 pm on 11/6.

Other than that, we have nothing booked, and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed trying to figure everything out. There's just so many options! We've been to wine country once before, but it was tacked on to a trip for a wedding, so our itinerary really was based on the wedding. We spent one night in Santa Rosa, and one night in Napa. We really enjoyed that trip, but felt a little rushed trying to get everything in. While we enjoyed Napa, we definitely preferred the vibe of the Sonoma wineries we visited. So we're planning on focusing this trip in Sonoma - with maybe a day in Napa - or maybe not.

If it helps, some our favorites from our last trip were:

Hop Kiln, Seghesio, and Cline. We also loved the Toad Hollow tasting room in Healdsburg, and wished we had more time to explore the town there. In Napa, our favorite winery was Clos Pegase.

I'd love some recommendations of where to start planning and how to map out our trip. What area should we stay in? Should we split the trip and spend 2 nights in one spot, and 2 in another? (I'm fuzzy on the distances between places.)

Also, recommendations for specific wineries would be great, as well as restaurant recommendations for one "nice" dinner out - for our anniversary dinner.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Planning a Wine Country trip - where do I start?

Sonoma is a great spot for you're trip with lots to do and see. We have used californiawineryadvisor.com/regions/view/Son… to find lots of good winery tours, including tasting room info, wine trail maps, and reviews. Healsdburg is great as a base to work from with good restaurants and attractions.

12. Re: Planning a Wine Country trip - where do I start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 10, 2013