We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Home Park

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Summer Home Park

What is Summer Home Park like? I've been told its a great place to take families and we are a family (2 adults and 3 kids ages 15, 13 and 10).

Would this be a good place to stay for a week or so?

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Home Park

In western Sonoma County, Summerhome Park is an area south of River Rd., located close to or on the Russian River and just east of the town of Guerneville. There's a rather well-known area of summer cabins (Odd Fellows Park) that were mostly built in the early 1900's where many San Francisco families used to (and still do) spend their vacations. If your family enjoys being near the river for canoeing or kayaking, hiking thru forested areas or just relaxing on a deck or porch--this will be a wonderful place to spend a week. The small town of Guerneville is close, so you can buy groceries and other supplies Korbel Winery (great deli, beautiful gardens, historic buildings, tours and sparkling wine) is close by. There are also numerous cafes and restaurants within a short driving distance from Summerhome (inc. the towns of Forestville and Sebastopol), ranging from casual eateries to truly gourmet cuisine. You'll also be within 20 min's from the beautiful, rugged Sonoma Coast where a treasure of parkland awaits you--lots of great places to hike, picnic or just view the ocean.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Home Park

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like it might be just what we are looking for.

There seem to be very few places available for rent there, but ironically the places available are quite reasonable, so we may be able to work this out.

I'm also looking at some riverside cottages near Healdsburg as my wife is a big Cabernet Sauvignon fan.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Home Park

My husband and I stayed in a vacation rental in Summerhome Park last December, and we fell in love w/ it! We are planning on returning in July for about 5 days, and are looking forward to spending time relaxing on the river. There is a private beach for the residents of the area, and it seems that it has a pretty close-knit community. I'm sure you would have a wonderful time there!

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Home Park

Thanks.

The "close-knit community" observation sounds great--unless they don't care for outsiders--the non-regulars.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Home Park

Not to worry--the locals are friendly and very welcoming to visitors. Occasionally, an old curmudgeon may emerge from the forested hills and grumble about "outsiders" but that's relatively rare and we even treasure those colorful characters! (They also consider anyone that's lived here less than 20 yrs. as outsiders).